• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Search results

1. Astrakan

Christ, what an asshole.

There's a bunch more at the link, but the Batman one is a sample of the theory that all comics can have "Christ, what an asshole." as the punchline, and still be effective. http://www.robertsinclair.net/comic/asshole.html I'm sure you'll find that it's not entirely accurate, but I think it's...
  2. Astrakan

Listening Modes

So, on Boxing Day (a.k.a. Canadian Black Friday, but on December 26th) I bought an Onkyo TX-NR708. I didn't get a chance to hook it up until recently-ish, but now that I have the four pages of "listening modes" have me slightly kerfuffled. For the most part I'm alright, but at the moment I'm...
  3. Astrakan

The Humble Bundle Contest - sponsored by Astrakan

Alrighty, this is the deal: Just for fun, and because it'll give me an excuse to donate some more money to Child's Play, I'm gonna throw a contest of my own. I don't have the energy to think up something original, so I'll just do a screenshot contest. The winner will get a giftcode for the...
  4. Astrakan

The Humble Indie Bundle

As mentioned in the Child's Play thread, HumbleBundle.com is offering up a five-game bundle for the low, low price of whatever-you-want. I'll let them explain it further: Of the game included I've only played Braid, but if the other games are even close to as amazing as it is, then it's well...
  5. Astrakan

PS3 for $298, receive $100 Amazon GC

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-160-GB/dp/B003VUO6H4?tag=homthelof-20 Obviously with free shipping. I believe I've HTLified the link. edit: That's a $100 credit to your account, not a straight-up gift certificate. Although perhaps you could buy a gift certificate, if that's what you wanted.
  6. Astrakan

Flick Picks (a.k.a. Fantasy Football for Film Fans)

So, I just heard about Flick Picks and signed up a few minutes ago. Basically, you get assigned a fictional theater and then have to decide on what films your theater should show this upcoming weekend. The following Monday, points are awarded based on how well, financially, your theater did...
  7. Astrakan

Alien Anthology for $38.44

I already posted this in the Amazon.co.uk thread, but it's such a good deal I figured it deserves a thread of its own: The region free Alien anthology is now £24.99 at amazon.co.uk, which once you remove sales tax and add shipping and convert to USD is $38.44. (edited to add: apparently the...
  8. Astrakan

Car Free Living

In 2006 I moved from the suburbs to Toronto proper, with full access to subways and busses, and subsequently sold one of our two cars. Four years later, my wife now walks to work and I tend to work from home. Most everything else is available via local transit, even the airport and train...
  9. Astrakan

AutoTune put to good use

I'm probably late to the party on this one, but for other latecomers like me: <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/civOdWxd4Kc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess"...
  10. Astrakan

Child's Play 2010 (the Penny Arcade charity)

It’s that time of year again. Child’s Play is gearing up for another run. For those that don’t know, Child’s Play is a charity started by the Penny Arcade guys because they felt that gamers were getting a bum rap and wanted to show the world that we’re a nice bunch of people. And with people...
  11. Astrakan

Your Double Feature Recommendations

As I was looking through my documentary DVDs (more on that in my first reco) the idea of this thread occurred to me. Basically, post titles that you think would work well as a double bill. And no, I don't mean movies and their sequels. I mean movies that are a little more loosely connected, but...
  12. Astrakan

Amazon.co.uk

With so many Blu-ray titles being region free and with region modded Blu-ray players readily available, I thought it a good idea to alert everyone to the great deals that can be had from amazon.co.uk. I just received my latest order from them: $9.51 for Apocalypto $6.87 for Beowulf &...
  13. Astrakan

Nintendo to release an oversized DSi

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="288" id="viddler_487a4302"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/487a4302/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed...
  14. Astrakan

The Single Most Amazing Thing I've Ever Seen

The topic title is borrowed from one of the YouTube comments, but it's apropo. The first minute and twenty seconds are alright, but then it really takes off into mindblowing amazingness. I can't wait for The Expendables! <object width="850" height="688"><param name="movie"...
  15. Astrakan

Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray player

Oppo just officially announced the little brother to the BDP-83, the BDP-80: click images for high-res versions OFFICIAL LINKS ¤ Main listing and specs ¤ Comparison chart ¤ Firmware and instruction manual updates PRO & USER REVIEWS ¤ About.com - Full review by Robert Silva. ¤...
  16. Astrakan

$9.99 PV Blu-rays at IC Video at 2714 Yonge, Toronto

Not sure how often any of my fellow Canucks here make it to Toronto, but I happened upon a newish video store near Lawrence subway station tonight. Per the subject line, it's located at 2714 Yonge and is called IC Video. It's been there for about 5 months. They're primarily a rental store...
  17. Astrakan

Most Prolific Movie Producing Countries...

I learned something today that surprised me. Without looking, what three countries would you say make up the Top 3 when it comes to number of films produced each year? Me, I'd go India at 1, U.S. at 2, and... maybe China? Turns out... Source...
  18. Astrakan

The Truman Show, or: Am I going crazy?

SPOILER ALERT REGARDING THE MOVIE THE TRUMAN SHOW! THIS POST, AND INDEED PROBABLY THIS ENTIRE THREAD, IS RIFE WITH SPOILERS FOR THE TRUMAN SHOW. --- I just watched The Truman Show for the first time since it was in theaters. Since I hadn't seen it in 11 years or so there wasn't much I...
  19. Astrakan

Fox Blu-ray Coupons

Get the coupons here: http://www.smartsource.com/ Right now only the $3 coupons are up, but hopefully the $10 ones will be up soon. Also, I haven't printed any of them so I don't know if they're U.S. only or not. I suspect they probably are. Source...
  20. Astrakan

Blu-ray review sites?

What good Blu-ray review sites do you guys use? Aside from this one of course. :P The Digital Bits and Blu-ray.com has decent reviews, but other than that I'm pretty much at a loss for where to read reviews specific to the Blu-ray release of movies. Any suggestions? A review aggregator would...