• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"Brain Hacking": What are your thoughts?

tomdkat

A friend of mine sent me this link:

Interesting 60 minutes episode. What do you think? I don't have a smartphone, so I'm not being hacked....at least not that way. :) lol

Peace...

EM3

Oh I am convinced this is true. When the wife and I would go on vacation we would carry our phones and it got to the point that we made a rule that we could use it 1hr per day for social media, answering emails, web surfing but no more than that. Was it tough yes but was it refreshing VERY! We firmly believed that everyone should unplug and I still do. I know since her passing I have eased up on Facebook, email gets checked once a day. I do use the phone for Netflix and music streaming but I typically use headphones when I do those. They are right it is like a slot machine and if you have an addictive personality I could see how it could destroy your life. I figure eventually you will see a boom in treatment of technology addiction.

https://www.wired.com/story/its-time-for-a-serious-talk-about-the-science-of-tech-addiction/

tomdkat

Thanks for the feedback. What concerns me the most is the degree to which these companies go to control/manipulate us. I deleted all of my Facebook accounts years ago, and haven't missed any of them. I have a Nokia mobile phone, with a physical keypad. Why? Because I need a *phone* for making phone calls, end of story.

Out in public, I find I enjoy watching people..... watching people on their smart phones. lol

Peace...

EM3

Thanks for the feedback. What concerns me the most is the degree to which these companies go to control/manipulate us. I deleted all of my Facebook accounts years ago, and haven't missed any of them. I have a Nokia mobile phone, with a physical keypad. Why? Because I need a *phone* for making phone calls, end of story.

Out in public, I find I enjoy watching people..... watching people on their smart phones. lol

Peace...
Its sad when you go out and see a table with people at in and nobody is talking because they all have their noses in their phones. I have people watched for years. One year I took like December 23rd off and went to the nall sat on a bench and just watched everyone. What a show.

tomdkat

Its sad when you go out and see a table with people at in and nobody is talking because they all have their noses in their phones. I have people watched for years. One year I took like December 23rd off and went to the nall sat on a bench and just watched everyone. What a show.
Yep, I agree. It's sad and I'm really surprised by the variety of people who do that.. I mean it transcends age and maybe any other demographic one can think of. Something else I've noticed is people can't put down their smart phones. I was in a grocery store and watched a woman unload her cart with one hand instead of using both hands. Why only one hand? Because she held her smart phone with the other hand.

Something I do at work, now, is count the number of people sitting at their desks with some work on their computer screen and whose heads are down, looking at their smart phones. It's sometimes amusing how some try to hide the fact they are on their phones at their desk. I can admit, I occasionally do this, if I'm reply to a text message or something but I limit how often I respond to text messages, while at work.

Man, I sound like an old geezer. lol

Peace...

EM3

right th
Yep, I agree. It's sad and I'm really surprised by the variety of people who do that.. I mean it transcends age and maybe any other demographic one can think of. Something else I've noticed is people can't put down their smart phones. I was in a grocery store and watched a woman unload her cart with one hand instead of using both hands. Why only one hand? Because she held her smart phone with the other hand.

Something I do at work, now, is count the number of people sitting at their desks with some work on their computer screen and whose heads are down, looking at their smart phones. It's sometimes amusing how some try to hide the fact they are on their phones at their desk. I can admit, I occasionally do this, if I'm reply to a text message or something but I limit how often I respond to text messages, while at work.

Man, I sound like an old geezer. lol

Peace...
Right there with you. Mine sits on my desk but during the day I do limit how much I use it.