• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Connection question(s)?

EM3

Ok so i recently picked up a new Sony a80j tv. Love the picture. right now I have a Sony 4k this one https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X800-Ultra-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B01N4RCPKO and a PS4 Pro and regular old coax cable running into the tv with audio being returned to my Yamaha RX-V679 https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v679_black_u/index.html now my question is is it better to run the connection to the avr and out to the tv or to the tv and use the arc? I'm looking for best sound quality. I am only running a 5.1 setup. I dont think my room will allow for Atmos and besides that would require an avr upgrade and at least 2 additional speakers. If i did 2 height channels in the front I dont think it would make a lot of difference place I have a drop tile ceiling and there is no way I am doing in ceiling speakers.

chlngr1970

"Project Man"
Administrator
IMHO, the best way to do this is run everything through the AVR and only send video to the TV. That way, there is one lest step for the audio to take to get to the AVR. First question I have is, does your ARC return 5.1?

j

EM3

IMHO, the best way to do this is run everything through the AVR and only send video to the TV. That way, there is one lest step for the audio to take to get to the AVR. First question I have is, does your ARC return 5.1?

j
This is for the tv...eARC offers improved bandwidth for higher-quality Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams, including Dolby Atmos. ... The format is backward-compatible with ARC

This is from the AVR manual "You can enable or disable the audio return channel (ARC) function within the setup menu of in receiver. Make sure that you have ARC turned on." So far I havent found how it decodes I am thinking DTS or Auto but that is a guess.

EM3

j
Got it fixed last night went into the dvd player and changed a couple of setting, double checked the AVR settings and changed a couple of those and reran the cable from the dvd to the avr and then out to tv. I got my DTS back and now I can quit thinking about a sound bar.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
I think it's all digital so from a sound quality point of view, it should not matter. But I think ARC only makes sense if you know you'll be watching things on a smart TV, like on-tv versions of Netflix, etc. that you'll want to send audio out to your receiver.

I don't have a smart TV, so this is never the case for me. I always run everything into my receiver, and just feed the video from the receiver to the TV. This allows me to use the receiver to do all the audio/video switching.

EM3

I think it's all digital so from a sound quality point of view, it should not matter. But I think ARC only makes sense if you know you'll be watching things on a smart TV, like on-tv versions of Netflix, etc. that you'll want to send audio out to your receiver.

I don't have a smart TV, so this is never the case for me. I always run everything into my receiver, and just feed the video from the receiver to the TV. This allows me to use the receiver to do all the audio/video switching.
Basically now i have everything ran into the receiver first and the ARC from the tv to the receiver as well. I do use the tv for YouTube, Netflix, Prime and a few other apps at times.