1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Audio and SACD's

Discussion in 'Music' started by EM3, May 1, 2017.

1. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Does anyone here still listen to these formats?

2. Taxi

Taxi Administrator Administrator

I have some of these discs and play them occasionally, but honestly, it was so difficult to find new releases on sites like Amazon, that I stopped looking.

I probably haven't purchased an SACD for over 5 years.

3. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

I am cleaning out some stuff and I expect I may run across 2 or 3 and if I do would you be interested in them I can let you know what I find when I get to them.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. Taxi

Yeah, sure. Let me know.

5. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Hey Taxi I found them but there wasn't as many as I thought. I have 8 discs if you want them. They are Eric Clapton and B B King - Ridin With the King, Stephanie Osbourne - Victorian Christmas, Sonic Boom - Set up and show off disc, The Best of REM, Fleetwood Mac - Rumors, I think all of those are DVD Audio disc and maybe 3 SACD's Meatloaf _ Bat Out of Hell, Rolling Stones not sure maybe Sympathy for the Devil, and the RS 500 Sampler disc that includes 9 songs from various artists Pink Floyd, Norah Jones, The Who, Bob Dylan, Billy Joel etc.

I can send them Priority Mail if it isnt too cost prohibitive if you want to send me an address. If you dont want them no biggie and maybe someone else would enjoy them.

Iguana Man likes this.
  6. Taxi

Yeah, I'll take them off your hands if you don't want them. I'll PM you my address. You can send them as cheap/slow as you want. I'm in no hurry.

Thanks!

7. brian

brian Well-Known Member

A while back, I discovered how easy it is to rip DVD-A discs and keep them on my PC/personal media players.

I've been buying hi-res releases when I have the opportunity, though honestly I can't tell you if I can hear much of a difference on stereo tracks that are 24-bit 88khz(or higher) and their 16-bit 44.1khz counterparts. I think in a few cases, I hear more detail on things like hi-hats/cymbals but someone could probably force me to take a double-blind test and I'd make a fool of myself. Aside from technical limitations and human limitations, I imagine a lot of these are mixed for CD release or lower quality, so you're not going to get a mix that takes advantage of an increased dynamic range anyways.