1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro into PC Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by EM3, Aug 31, 2017.

1. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

So I need a few small things to finish up the planning and I need to run ethernet to the computer and I was looking at this cable because it matches the wall and with the right cable clips it shouldn't be that noticeable. I was looking at this but my problem is I dont want the screw in clips I want to one that have the adhesive clips. Can someone help me find them?

2. Iguana Man

Iguana Man Well-Known Member Moderator

I've used these before in my old HT. Painted them the same color as my walls. After several years the adhesive dried out on the channel closest to the ceiling and projector fan but you shouldn't have that problem. 3M Command strips sell clear cable ties that also may be useful.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8288

If you search "cable management" on Monoprice's site you'll see other options as well.

EM3 likes this.
  3. Wirehed

Wirehed NSFW Administrator Administrator

RE: Steam

Yes.
    You buy the license and it shows up in your "Library." You can install or uninstall as you wish. Even on different computers logged into the same Steam account.

EM3 likes this.
  4. Wirehed

Oh, and Path of Exile is amazingly good.
    I'm a long time Diablo fan, so I haven't gotten into PoE much beyond a basic (early) playthrough. It's complexity tree is WAY ahead of Diablo3, so if you're into that kind of thing PoE is the game.

Oh and worth noting, PoE is totally free to play. Money is only used for visual effects and a larger storage area (for later game things). Nothing impacts the game itself. I actually kicked in $10 to support the developers when I was playing.

chlngr1970 likes this.
  5. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Yeah I did a little looking into PoE and love Diablo 3. The wife and I still play it on the PS4 some.

chlngr1970 likes this.
  6. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Delivery yesterday. Forgive the sideways pic. Just a few odds and ends to go like Ethernet cable etc. Still have the case waiting to be delivered.

PC Parts.jpg

chlngr1970 likes this.
  7. Wirehed

It's happening!

:)

8. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Yeah my wallet threw up a white flag. Just waiting on a case so it can be built and tested. My tech guy said he could get me a windows key. He and I will have to find a monitor to hook that up and do the install and all the updates. Plus still have to run Ethernet from the living room to the kitchen desk but that is just through 1 wall.

chlngr1970 likes this.
  9. Wirehed

What case did you go with?

Very exciting!

10. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NZXT Mid Tower 340 I think was the number in gloss white

chlngr1970 likes this.
  11. Wirehed

Nice choice!

My wife did an all white build like that with her gaming machine. She replaced all the fans with white and added white lighting effects as well. Very cool.

12. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Matches Victor!

Wirehed and chlngr1970 like this.
  13. Taxi

Taxi Administrator Administrator

GTX 1080? So... I guess that $850 budget wasn't real?

Also, that EVGA 600BQ is not a very good power supply. Link

Skimping on the power supply is a mistake that a lot of first-time builders make. Especially with that 1080, you're going to want something that can deliver better power than that. The difference between a good PS and a bad one is only 40-50 bucks. It doesn't make sense to go cheap. You're just asking for headaches down the road. (Like your PC mysteriously rebooting a lot, and the possibility of you losing data.)

www.hardocp.com does fantastic PS reviews, and they're the only site I trust. I wouldn't get any PS that wasn't at least silver rated by them. My last two builds have used Seasonic power supplies, both gold rated, but I did have a bigger budget.

But you can get the Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus 850 for $90 at Newegg after a $20 rebate. But honestly, I think you'd be better off with ANY of the 620+W Seasonic power supplies.

Edit: it looks like that $20 rebate is already over. :(

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 7:50 AM
  14. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Thanks Taxi I will look into that. Well I made the budget and thanks to friends and peer pressure I just said "screw it" and bought what I wanted . I figured this should last me for a good bit. So far it has been fun trying to figure out what I need vs want. I have learned quite a bit and haven't even put anything together. Trying to make a list of free games on Steam that I may want to get since I am not used to using a keyboard and mouse. Path of Exile is on my to get list.

15. Wirehed

(note that I agree 100% with Taxi on all the above)

Regarding Steam. While a lot of PC gamers are Keyboard and Mouse warriors, most (if not all) modern games use a standard Xbox controller. Outside of keyboard/mouse specific titles I tend to gravitate to the controller for most AAA games. Games like Fallout 4, Skyrim, Borderlands, etc play more comfortably with a controller.
    I highly recommend using your Xbox controller with your new gaming system. You can bind one of your current 360 controllers, just buy the PC wireless adapter.

There's also one for the Xbox One controller as well if you prefer that.
    BTW, this is plug and play. Windows 10 has the drivers built in, and most Steam games will automatically recognize the controller when it's on.

Steam sales! Wait for them. ;) Steam has massive sales a few times a year. There will be a Fall sale in the near(ish) future. Don't pay full price on games that aren't brand new.

You might want to look into subscribing to Humble Bundle. https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly
    This is (one of the few) legit sites for Steam keys. The monthly subscription is $12 and you'll get around 7 blind games. Most of them are indy, some are kind of unknown titles, but there's always 1 or 2 AAA or highly coveted games. You'll see what one of the titles is each month before you buy, the rest are delivered a few days into the month. I've gotten a huge value out of this service and I've belonged over 1 year.
    You can easily cancel at anytime btw.

16. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Well shot that went downhill fast. The guy that said I can get you a Windows key can't. He directed me a sire in Hong Kong. Don't think so dude. Any suggestions how to get a legit copy on USB at a reduced rate.

17. Iguana Man

College students get a free key. Maybe you or the wife know someone?

18. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Damn I never thought of that thanks!

19. XxFrAsZeRxX

XxFrAsZeRxX Active Member

Hey there, I am a recently graduated college student (and a friend of Iggy), so I could potentially get you a new key. Though something interesting to note about Windows 10: You do NOT need a key to actually use Windows 10, there are only two stipulations to not having a key: you can't change your background, and you get a watermark at the bottom right telling you to activate your copy of Windows. I've been using Windows 10 for gaming for about 6 months now, the key the school provided me was used too many times, so I just leave it unactivated.

If you'd like a key, to avoid those two things, I can call the school and see if they'll give me a new one for you. I can also provide an installation .ISO file, if you don't already have one. Just let me know. :D

One more note, unrelated to WIN10, but more related to Steam, since I'm a bit late to the conversation, you can also "Steam share" with people. Basically if you Steam share with a friend, if you buy a game, your friend can install it also, and vice versa. Only draw back is if you both go to play the same game at the same time, the person who purchased it takes priority, and the person "borrowing" the game (for lack of a better term) can't play.

EM3 and Iguana Man like this.
  20. Iguana Man

Hey! I don't know you! Piss off! :)

(thanks Albert)

XxFrAsZeRxX likes this.