• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Many new additions

zepherman

Hey everyone! Yes, it has been a VERY long time! It sure is nice to know this place is still around, and nice to see many familiar members as well.

A lot has happened over the last 5 years. But I’m still around, and I’m still really into all things AV! Have added quite a few things, with most added within the past year.

Since the new additions are not part of the main HT room, I figured I should start a thread here.

I still have and use the 84” LG 4K TV I bought back in Feb. of 2013 in the main HT. I have however, purchased other TVs for other rooms of the house. Got a Sony 75X940E for the game room. Got a Sony 65Z9D for the master bedroom, and an LG 55C6P OLED for the guest bedroom/music room.

Have Roku Ultra’s for all three, and Sony X800 4K Blu-ray players for all three as well. The system where the OLED is at also has some Focal Aria 905’s, a Definitive Technology Prosub, ADS MS3 sub (still works perfectly), a Marantz M-CR611 receiver (for 2 channel music). A lot of cool new toys.:)

The Sony Z9D is a real stunner! PQ on it is simply phenomenal! HDR is jaw dropping! I can see why this TV remained as Sony’s flagship for over 2 years. The OLED offers the best PQ overall, but the Z9D kicks its butt in the HDR department! The Z9D gets really bright, and HDR really pops! And the blacks are a very close second to OLED.

I know Sony is soon to introduce the Z9F Master Series. But many are saying that this TV has only 104 dimming zones. The 65Z9D has something like 650 zones. Apparently the Z9F’s X1 Ultimate chip is supposed to do some magical stuff for not only PQ but black levels. Again early reports don’t seem to show it is better than the Z9D. But I guess time will tell once it’s available.

Just happy I was able to snag one of the last Z9D’s. I am planning on replacing the 84” in the HT room. Thing is there are no TVs in the 85” range that are of the caliber of either the Z9D or 940E. The Sony 900F is available in an 85” size, but it only has like 40 dimming zones. Definitely not flagship quality. So that leaves only the soon to be released Samsung 85Q900FN 8K TV.

It will be expensive, possibly $15K or so, but it will be a full array local dimming set. Supposedly will have 700+ zones and 4,000 nit peak brightness, which makes it the brightest TV yet available. Not sure if I’ll go with this one, or see what else will be available. CES will be here in about 4 months, and hopefully other TV makers will offer reference quality 85”-88” TVs under $15K.

It doesn’t have to be 8K, but I have a feeling all 85” flagship models next year will be 8K only.

Sorry for my long winded post, just had a lot to share. It’s good to be back guys!:cool:

Seth

zepherman

:jawdrop:
That's just short of shining a flashlight in your eyeballs! ;)

Welcome back!
Thanks! ;) BTW I really like the look of the forum. Very easy on the eyes, and great for reading or posting in the dark on your phone or tablet.

Yes, 4,000 nits is really really bright! :eek: But according to attendees at IFA in Berlin, the Samsung Q900 8K offered the best HDR at the show. Now to find out exactly what the price tag will be for the U.S.

Seth

zepherman

Here’s a pic of the OLED/2 channel music system. The OLED is a curved screen so that’s the way it’s supposed to look. :) The speakers on the other hand look a tad distorted (especially the right one). Most likely it’s the way the light was entering the room, and my iPhone camera just made it look that way.:shrug:

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
the Samsung Q900 8K offered the best HDR at the show. Now to find out exactly what the price tag will be for the U.S.
I doubt I'll ever go to 8K unless I am forced to. (In other words, there simply is no other format to buy in.)

I can barely see the difference betweek 1080p and 4K. I'm sure I'll never see the difference between 4K and 8K. My eyes are just too old. :(

zepherman

Yeah, I probably won’t see much of a difference between 4K and 8K either. But if the HDR on this TV is off the charts amazing, then they might be on to something special. I really don’t need an 8K TV, and would be plenty happy with a very large 4K TV with FALD. But I’m afraid that now that TV makers are going to try and outdo each other with 8K, I may be forced to buy an 8K TV. Let me explain.

The reason is that it is very possible (and quite likely) that TV makers will only offer their flagship TVs with screen sizes 85” and over as 8K only models. I’m sure there will be some 82”-85” models that are 4K. But I’m guessing those will be mid-range lines with lesser tech and very few dimming zones (e.g. Sony 900F).

I want a TV with a screen size no smaller than 85 inch, top end video processing, cutting edge FALD, decent viewing angles, and exceptional HDR. Most likely those kind of features will only be reserved for flagship models. And 8K may be the only choice for an 85” or larger TV with that kind of tech.

I guess we’ll see what’s shown at CES in January.