1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My projector and it's naughty bulb situation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wirehed, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Wirehed

Wirehed NSFW Administrator Administrator

So the bulb in my Panasonic 3000 is dead.

AND NO ONE FUCKING SELLS IT!
    Panasonic no longer makes it, and everyone reputable is out.
    I can order a $200 "replacement" from Chinese bulb suppliers, but the reviews are very hit or miss, most being that the bulb exploded after X number of hours.

I feel kind of screwed.

Now's not the time to buy a projector. I'm waiting for the 4k ones to become (well, real) and affordable.
    Also I bought a bunch of cars and I have Wasteland so now is not the time for me to be spending money.

Gah!

Boo!

/rant.

2. Iguana Man

Iguana Man Well-Known Member Moderator

For what it's worth, my best bud in Jersey bought an Amazon $30 bulb for his Panny PT-AX100U. He's had no issues. So far. :)

Wirehed likes this.
  3. SilentBob

SilentBob EH??? Administrator

If you were to buy maybe an e-shift 4K. Would there be a price that might get you into purchasing one? They have some close out pricing on last years JVC's at AVScience.com with HDR and gamma curves installed . They are a pain in the ass to do and wish mine came with them from where I bought it from. They have the RS400 for $3000 and comes with a bonus bulb included.

4. Wirehed

It just kills me to spend money on the e-shift projectors. I mean, I might have too, I'm just really not happy about it. ;)
    Usually it's fun and exciting to buy a new hometheater toy, but this just doesn't feel right.

I'll probably just buy one of the knock-off replacement bulbs and hope for the best right now. If it explodes or otherwise doesn't work I'll have to buy a new one though.

Thanks for the heads up on the discounted JVCs!

5. SilentBob

Come on, you know you want one. They do look very nice in action, little lag for games (compare to the new ones) but not game destroying, and lense memory. That $200 could go towards a shitty bulb that pops after a few hours or a shiny new 4K e-shift projector

:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Wirehed likes this.
  6. Taxi

Taxi Administrator Administrator

If you have the PT-AE3000U (And I think you do) this place has 26 of them in stock. They're using the Panny part number so I think these are factory replacement bulbs.

This place on Amazon isn't "official" Panasonic, but they do have a 100% rating with thousands of reviews, so I would feel pretty safe going with them.

7. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Wire's luck sounds like mine. Good luck bud.

Wirehed likes this.
  8. Wirehed

I swear I looked up that ProjectorLamps place and they were out of stock... weird. Hmmm.

I worry about the Amazon one for the obvious reasons, but yeah, that's otherwise worth doing before just tossing the projector.

I'm going to give ProjectorLamps a call though and confirm that. Excellent. Thanks Taxi.

:)

Taxi likes this.
  9. Wirehed

UPDATE

Ordered the bulb from Projectorbulbs.com. It came quickly and only cost $140 shipped.

It's not OEM, looks like a rehousing as there is no fancy, metal cover like my other replacements I've bought in the past.

But it does seem to work fine, at least for now. Hopefully it will last long enough for real 4k projectors are competitively priced and I'll be comfortable upgrading.

10. SilentBob

I was going to ask how your bulb situation played through. So you got a bulb I guess without the housing included. I guess if you're ok in changing it yourself and saving some bucks it was the way to go. Hopefully (and I mean it) it lasts a good while for you and your needs.

11. Wirehed

Yeah, thanks hopefully it lasts until I replace it. :)

12. chlngr1970

chlngr1970 "Project Man" Administrator

Optima has a true 4K projector out now for $2K. Hope this helps

j

EM3 likes this.