• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My Retirement Theater construction Thread...

ellisr63

The Home theater will be 28' long, 19' wide, and 8' high ceilings.

First problem is the HVAC hoses.

The red outline is the HVAC hoses... The one running from the rear of the theater toward the front along the wall is 2' diameter and close to the ceiling. The smaller one comes out of the wall below the 2' one and goes up to the ceiling and then splits to go to 2 different vents for our MB.

The orange part toward the front of the theater is the AT screen. I am now also wondering if the speakers will be ok being off center in the rear... They are centered on the seating only. I might be able to get a little bit more room by moving the seating up , but I would need to move it up another 1-2' which would bring my front row to 11-12' from the screen.

The other options would be...
1. Make the La Scalas the surround side channels on the floor, and the 3002s the rears (which could then go on the rear wall close to the ceiling, and be centered properly).
2. Hang the la Scalas from the ceiling on the rear wall with one being over the entrance door (then they could be in the soffit).

Does this make it more clear?

Any ideas?

ellisr63

Equipment list....
Electronics:
Denon 4520ci
Topping "T" chip amps (5)
Yamaha P7000S (1 for subs)

Speakers:
3 La Scalas with the tops cut off. Refinished making the cabinets 3/4" thicker and using 2 of the bass bins with EV940 horns, and Faital hf140 drivers for the surrounds, 1 EV9040 Horn with a Faital hf140 driver for the center speaker.
Main channels will be 1/4 pie bass bins with EVM15L woofers, JBL 2360 horns with EV DHA-1 drivers.

Klipsch Heresy Industrial HIPs height channels
Klipsch 3002 side surrounds

BenQ W1070 projector
170" AT screen

Last edited:

ellisr63

1st row of seating is 12-14' from screen , 2nd row of seating is 19-20'' from the screen. 2nd row of seating will be on top of either 1 or 2 Danley DTS-10 subs.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
You're planning on using the La Scalas for your from L/R main speakers? I know they're big, but are they 4+feet big? It seems that maybe you have a bit too much room behind your screen, if you're looking for more room.

What AT screen are you thinking about? If you went with the Seymour AV 4K screen, 11' - 12' would be plenty far enough away to not see the screen weave. (I have two friends with that screen, and it is fantastic.)

I have the older Seymour non-4K screen, and I think my front chair is maybe only 8-10' from the screen, and I never see the weave. (Pirate has younger eyes than I do, so maybe he's a better source on that than I am.)

ellisr63

The La Scala bass bin will be used for my surrounds and my center channel... I am making up a pair of custom bass bins that are 4' x 4' in the shape of a pie, and about 17" tall... The horns on top of them will be the JBL 2360A horns which are 30" x 30" square and about 25" deep. We are going 5' deep to allow a little bit of access for getting around the speakers for maintenance in the area behind the screen. I could just as easily make the area 4' deep and push the bass bins right up against the rear wall and then maybe have the bass bins extend out through the stage floor. By making the area of the room behind the screen shallower it will not make my distance to the seats longer as we are building out on the garage and the side areas are load supporting so they must stay where they are.

I am looking at the Seymour, or Falcon screens. Screen will be the full width of a 2 car garage door.

ellisr63

I drew this up today to hopefully explain the problems better and also updated speaker placement possibilities. I am not sure where the side surrounds should go, and I left out the height channels for the time being.

Side views...

Top view...

All the big horns are up front and the HIPs, and 3002 would be in the Side Surround or Rear Surround positions.

Iam thinking we might have to build out around the AC ducting and then do the double drywall , GG around it. I am also thinking a wide soffit around the whole viewing area of the room in which I could then put all my lighting and maybe put my speakers in also. Would it be ok to put the Klipsch KP3002 speakers on their sides and angle downward?

I think if we needed to we could raise the rear platform up a few more inches but not by much as we are pushing 7' of clearance now without a soffit.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
It's not usually a good idea to use speakers on their sides, unless they're designed that way. Speakers are usually setup for wide dispersion, so if you put the speaker on its side, then that dispersion becomes tall, rather than wide, narrowing the sweet spot.

The Klipsch 3002 are PA speakers. Have you tried them out as side surrounds? It seems like a little overkill. (I can't believe I just said that.)

ellisr63

It's not usually a good idea to use speakers on their sides, unless they're designed that way. Speakers are usually setup for wide dispersion, so if you put the speaker on its side, then that dispersion becomes tall, rather than wide, narrowing the sweet spot.

The Klipsch 3002 are PA speakers. Have you tried them out as side surrounds? It seems like a little overkill. (I can't believe I just said that.)
Right now i am using them as my main channels. Once we get the HT done I will place them... I am tempted to sell my Heresy HIPs which are currently my surround channels, and get another set of the 3002s.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Also, with a 16' screen, you're really going to have to think about your projector options. It's really tough for a projector to light up a screen of that size.

You could maybe solve your rear surround centering issue by using dipole surrounds. Dipoles sound more diffuse than standard monopole speakers. It might be something to look into.

ellisr63

This is so awesome, dude. :bow:
Well I will never have to worry about it being loud enough as my least efficient speaker is 100db with 1 watt at one meter and it is my subs which will be a 2' max from the MLP. The horns vary from 109db-112db with one watt. Surrounds and Side surrounds 101-102db with one watt. This is why i am getting the Topping "T" 30wpch chip amps to drive the horns. :)

ellisr63

Also, with a 16' screen, you're really going to have to think about your projector options. It's really tough for a projector to light up a screen of that size.

You could maybe solve your rear surround centering issue by using dipole surrounds. Dipoles sound more diffuse than standard monopole speakers. It might be something to look into.
I am thinking of going dual BenQ w1070 projectors...

I have 11.2 in speakers already. LOL

EM3

Sounds like you found more than a few. I've got Klipsch RB in theliving room and a set of Heresy's from the 80's in the bedroom powered by a 20 watt T amp and they are plenty loud. Nice to know there is someone else that appreciates Klipsch sound.

Oh FWIW Taxi I tried my RB's on their sides and noticed that where they are horn loaded it did screw with the sound some so I turned mine back upright.

ellisr63

Look what arrived today...

We finished up with getting rid of all the excess phone lines, electric wires, and cables, and while we were cutting out the area for the audio rack my Horns and drivers showed up! Man they are BIG! You can see them next to my La Scala bass bin and also the Danley subs. I can't wait to get them hooked up. The MiniDSPs are on the way too.