1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Retirement Theater construction Thread...

Discussion in 'Your Home Theater' started by ellisr63, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ellisr63

ellisr63 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will sound the same.

2. ellisr63

While I am waiting for my freind to have some free time... I have been revamping the HT. I have now moved the screen back about a foot, lowered it almost to the floor, and hinged it for access. I also am working on some new equipment stands so my equipment can be placed behind the screen, and also support the 200lb+ front channel speakers. I will post up some more pics soon.

3. Taxi

Taxi Administrator Administrator

Why did you lower it to the floor? Do you not have multiple rows of seats? Seems like it would make it hard for the people in the back row to see the screen unobstructed.

ellisr63 likes this.
  4. ellisr63

We lowered it to the floor as I am going to sell my projector, and the replacement may not have a lens adjustment that goes far enough to clear the ceiling panels. We do have a back row currently, but that may be changing soon. We might remove the raised rear floor, and leave the are behind the front row empty for better acoustics.

5. ellisr63

I also have another project i am going to try and build... A 14 channel IcePower amp. This amp will have 125wpc for all 8 surround/Atmos speakers, plus 125w for the bass bins, and 50w for the horns. I am doing the front 3 channels first as if the 125w is not enough we can use 250w or 500w for the bass bins. I am thinking this would equalize the horns and the woofers a little better as i use gain to lower the horns down, and with bigger amps for the woofers might get my levels closer.

SilentBob likes this.
  6. SilentBob

SilentBob EH??? Administrator

Any idea on what projector you will be looking at getting? Splurge and go for a nice 4K e-shift projector or an actual 4K projector. The new Epson 5040/6040 might something to look into with its memory lens, 4K e-shift and HDR capabilities.

I'll shut up now, but keep us updated:beerchug:

ellisr63 likes this.
  7. ellisr63

I would like to go with a JVC E-shift, but unless I can sell everything I want to sell (for what I am thinking is the going price), I will have to go to a BenQ 35oolumen budget projector.

8. SilentBob

SilentBob EH??? Administrator

Might be able to find a cheaper-ish one on the AVS forum classified area?

Also thinking of Canadian dealers in which you might still be able buy/ship stateside with. Might be able to get some sort of savings with the conversion rate on the dollar. Asked for a request from a local dealer on the JVC DLA-X550RB and should hear back tomorrow.

ellisr63 likes this.
  9. ellisr63

A little update... I am currently using a BenQ M741, and i like it but in order to get the screen small enough I need to move the projector forward 5', which then means I can't use the Anamorphic lens. I am going to either try a different BenQ or go to a Optima projector. The Optima will give me 50FL at 19' which will be twice as bright as the current BenQ, and close to 5 times the FL of the Panasonic AE8000U.

For the rest of my setup... I have sold all but one of the horns, bass bins, I3NUCs, one of the Crest Audio amps, both MiniDSP DDRC-88A/M boxes. Still waiting on sellint the other Crest Audio amp, Yamaha 4 channel amp, and Panasonic AE8000U projector.

I have one Synergy horn completed, but I can't test it yet. I need to finish getting all the misc parts to build the 14 channel IcePower amp with built in MiniDSP 2x4s for the front 3 channel crossover. Parts are rolling in all week, and then i need to order a rear panel for the amp, and build a separate box for all the SpeakOn connectors.

Here are some pics of the new Synergy Horns we built with most of the work being done by my friends.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are pics of the new amp rack/speaker stands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have another one that is double wide for the center channel.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    EM3 likes this.
  10. Taxi

Are they all painted blue? If so, why blue?

ellisr63 likes this.
  11. Iguana Man

Iguana Man Well-Known Member Moderator

How many hours and how much are you going to ask for the Panny 8000?

ellisr63 likes this.
  12. Iguana Man

He's trying to match his car, silly.

IMG_0512.jpg

ellisr63 likes this.
  13. ellisr63

All the racks are blue with black posts and the speakers will be black with a blue horn. I just like the color combo.

14. ellisr63

I think there is around 4500 hours on the bulb, it def needs a new bulb. I am looking for $750 with PayPal plus shipping, or $700 cash. if you have someone who is local to me that can pay cash and ship it to you...you can save some cash. I have the factory box.

Iguana Man likes this.
  15. ellisr63

Parts are still arriving for the construction of the IcePower 14 channel amp. I have the chassis being modded currently, and I am awaiting the estimate for a custom rear panel for the amp too. Hopefully sometime next week I will have all the parts to start assembly, and pics.

EM3 likes this.
  16. ellisr63

Well it is official...we are moving, and the HT is being torn down now. Hopefully I will get the other end speaker tuned soon.

We will be moving to Mexico, and having a new custom home built with...you guessed it , a new Home Theater. The new House will be economic friendly, and health friendly due to my current health. It will be built of clay 1' thick walls, clay brick ceiling, concrete radient heated & cooled floors, and double pane windows. We will have atrium throughout the house, and our equipment rack will be in one of them. The reason the equipment will be in one is to reduce or eliminate the positive ions from electrically operated equipment. I am not say or expecting any audio or video help from the atriums...this is strictly to improve our living environment without leaving my hobby of audio, and video.

I am looking at going with a larger theater room this titem with it being around 24x33x14'. This will hopefully sound better for bass with the larger room, and solid walls. I will be taking my 1st reflection panels, and extra Roxul with us to make more if needed.

I will post up in a new thread the new build once I get more info.

17. Taxi

Wow, Mexico. Why Mexico, just for the warmer climate? Why not Florida or Texas?

18. Iguana Man

Holy Shit! Mexico?! That's amazing. What part, if I may ask?

19. Wirehed

Wirehed NSFW Administrator Administrator

A long time family friend moved to Mexico a few years ago. He really loves it, though his stories of having to "buy security" from the local cartel is kind of, well, scary to me. But he doesn't think anything of it and all. His place is amazing. Money goes really far there.

20. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Good luck!