• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My Retirement Theater construction Thread...

ellisr63

We have decided to forgo the open baffle version for now. The cabinets are taking a while right now due to the size and weight of the MDF panels...my friend is trying to come up with a way that he can move the pieces by himself to work on them. Hopefully next week he will have a solution.
Once I get the speakers in my house... I will look at a way to adapt a OB design too.

ellisr63

How things change over a short period of time. Currently I have all of the front 3 as open baffle. I have only hooked up one and it has a muffled sound so I def got some work ahead to figure out why. Today I hope to get the support built for the framework on the other 2. Once I get that far I plan on hooking up the other 2 to see if they have the same problem. I am hoping that the compression driver is the problem as I have a few backups. If I cannot find my battery charger for my drill... I might just install REW and see what it shows.

ellisr63

Today my friend Chris sent me a few adjustments to the crossover, and the sound is a huge improvement. Vocals are nice and clear and have a bit of warmth to them too. I know that if I build a cabinet the sound will most likely go even deeper than it does now.

ellisr63

I now have all 3 assembled,but I amunassembling and reassembling with a different frame, and also making sure everything makes up as good as I can get it. I am going all my part with a circ saw, jigsaw, chop saw, and a drill. I wish I still had my
Table saw. I hope to be able to get some Bondo so I can start plugging holes and kerfs. I am aking all 3 assemblies as close to identical as possible. I am even drilling the holes using another ones as a template, as I do not want to worry about which part went to which speaker. I will post some pics up later this week of how the latest version (final) looks. It is very heavy
y,and very strong!