• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My Retirement Theater construction Thread...

ellisr63

We have decided to forgo the open baffle version for now. The cabinets are taking a while right now due to the size and weight of the MDF panels...my friend is trying to come up with a way that he can move the pieces by himself to work on them. Hopefully next week he will have a solution.
Once I get the speakers in my house... I will look at a way to adapt a OB design too.

ellisr63

How things change over a short period of time. Currently I have all of the front 3 as open baffle. I have only hooked up one and it has a muffled sound so I def got some work ahead to figure out why. Today I hope to get the support built for the framework on the other 2. Once I get that far I plan on hooking up the other 2 to see if they have the same problem. I am hoping that the compression driver is the problem as I have a few backups. If I cannot find my battery charger for my drill... I might just install REW and see what it shows.

ellisr63

Today my friend Chris sent me a few adjustments to the crossover, and the sound is a huge improvement. Vocals are nice and clear and have a bit of warmth to them too. I know that if I build a cabinet the sound will most likely go even deeper than it does now.

ellisr63

I now have all 3 assembled,but I amunassembling and reassembling with a different frame, and also making sure everything makes up as good as I can get it. I am going all my part with a circ saw, jigsaw, chop saw, and a drill. I wish I still had my
Table saw. I hope to be able to get some Bondo so I can start plugging holes and kerfs. I am aking all 3 assemblies as close to identical as possible. I am even drilling the holes using another ones as a template, as I do not want to worry about which part went to which speaker. I will post some pics up later this week of how the latest version (final) looks. It is very heavy
y,and very strong!

ellisr63

My friend is working on CNCing the rear panel for my 6 Icepower module, 3 channel amp now. Once that is done it is assembly time. Once the amp is here I will start again to get the tuned finalized on the center. I am not sure if I will tune the left and right channels yet, as I have not had cabinets made for them yet.

ellisr63

Fired it up tonight afterworking on the wiring all day...sounds great!tomorrow I still nedd to make 2. Ore power cords, 2 more speaker cables, and button it up. When I get some time I will setup some relays for the LEDs that monitor power to the individual amp modules.

ellisr63

2nd cabinet is assembled and has its grill attached. Today I got the center channel cabinet from the carpenter, and will start assembly Monday. The center will be on its side and inserted into the center of the rack...with a short stack of equipment on each end of the rack. Tomorrow our new 86" LG flat panel should be delivered...this will replace our 65" Samsung on our rack

Attachments

ellisr63

I am working on some new surrounds made off of the short side of my k402s...these will be made of bendable plywood and mdf. The plan is to eventually make them out of solid wood and make some sub boxes for stands.

ellisr63

Looks like I will be running Dirac again...just ordered the minidsp ddrc88m again. Once it arrives I will be selling my Xilica xp4080, klipsch rp160ms, music fide.ity mxvynl. Once I sell those I will be getting a new AVP. Getting close completion now.

ellisr63

I will be doing some upgrading over the next few months...

Ordered:
Minidsp ddrc88m (never should hace sold the 2 I had in my last HT)
2 Pass ACA stereo/mono amps

Diy projects:
2 2' x 2' MEHs modeled from the small side of my k402 MEHs. These will use the same drivers,but the horn will be made of MDF.

Selling:
4 Klipsch rp160Ms
Musical Fidelity MX VYNL phono preamp
Yamaha CXA 5100 preamp
Xilica xp4080 crossover
Some Icepower asx20btl, and asx125SE/BTL amp modules
Dune HD PRO 4K PLUS media player

ellisr63

I got the 1st of 2 DDRC88As, 2 of the Ampcamp amps in, and the crossover settings transferred. Next I will run Dirac to see how it does, and hopefully this weekend I will have the Ampcamp amps connected with new wiring to the speakers. I also will be rewiring the speakers to have a asx125btl for each woofer in each speaker. So far the setup is sounding very good with just the crossover setup. It does sound different... I am thinking it might be because it minidsp rounds off to a 10th where xilica goes 3 decimal points.

ellisr63

I just got a Waterrower rowing machine for exercising while I watch movies. I also made 5 absorption panels for my front channel. I still need to make some more for the wall behind the center channel and then in some other areas of the room.