• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Blu-ray New Blu-ray June 5th, 2018

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
A ridiculous number of animated/kids titles this week. Obviously trying to capitalize on the end of the school year.

Action 9 Movie Collection
The Ancient Law
Anonymous Noise: Complete Collection
As the Gods Will
Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series
Bee Movie
The Big Country (60th Anniversary Edition)
Black Butler: Book of the Atlantic
The Croods
Death Wish
Devil's Gate
Empire Records
Escape Plan 4K
Every Day
Frank & Eva
Freak Show
Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season
The Great Silence (Il grande silenzio | 50th Anniversary Edition)
Gringo
Home
How to Train Your Dragon
The Hurricane Heist (Also in 4K)
The Incredibles 4K (Ultimate Collector's Edition)
Kung Fu Panda
Kung Fu Panda 2
Kung Fu Panda 3
The Last Ship: The Complete Fourth Season
Lost Horizon
The Midnight Man
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE: Collection 2
Monsters vs. Aliens
Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
My Hero Academia: Season Two Part Two (Also in a LE version)
Peter Pan (Anniversary Edition | The Signature Collection)
Puss in Boots
Rise of the Guardians
RWBY: Volume 5
Satellite Girl and Milk Cow
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Two-Disc Special Edition)
South Park: The Complete Twenty-First Season
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Complete Collection (Premium Box Set)
The Steam Engines of Oz
Thoroughbreds
Trolls
Turbo

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
I saw a couple of reviews for the 4k Incredible s and they were giving the picture quality a 3.5 out of 5. Just an FYI
Yeah saw some of them too and once again Disney can’t stop themselves from neutering the sound :( was hoping the Atmos track would be, well Incredible. Seems like the old DTS track is the better bet

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Hmm. It's interesting you say that. I watched the 4K of Black Panther last night, and I was thinking that the sound was a bit underwhelming. I looked to make sure that it was using a lossless codec and it was set to Dolby Atmos. I don't have an Atmos capable receiver, but I figured it was better than using what they were calling "Dolby Digital Plus".

It seems that watching a movie these days is getting too complicated. ;)

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Hmm. It's interesting you say that. I watched the 4K of Black Panther last night, and I was thinking that the sound was a bit underwhelming. I looked to make sure that it was using a lossless codec and it was set to Dolby Atmos. I don't have an Atmos capable receiver, but I figured it was better than using what they were calling "Dolby Digital Plus".

It seems that watching a movie these days is getting too complicated. ;)
Disney has been neutering their soundtracks for the past year and half or 2. The surround seem to be ok but their is no sub action and the volume is set way too low. Some think this is because of them gearing the sound more for Soundbar owners and not for us true home theatre enthusiasts.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Disney has been neutering their soundtracks for the past year and half or 2. The surround seem to be ok but their is no sub action and the volume is set way too low. Some think this is because of them gearing the sound more for Soundbar owners and not for us true home theatre enthusiasts.
Hmm. I hope that's not true.

My personal theory is that my Marantz pre-pro just doesn't know how to handle the Atmos data 100% accurately, which results in a quieter sub channel. Hopefully that's the case and it can either be fixed with a firmware update, or an Atmos capable pre-pro. For now the solution that Pirate uses it to set the receiver's volume to 0dB (we usually watch Blu-rays at -9 to -11 dB).

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Hmm. I hope that's not true.

My personal theory is that my Marantz pre-pro just doesn't know how to handle the Atmos data 100% accurately, which results in a quieter sub channel. Hopefully that's the case and it can either be fixed with a firmware update, or an Atmos capable pre-pro. For now the solution that Pirate uses it to set the receiver's volume to 0dB (we usually watch Blu-rays at -9 to -11 dB).
Well I have had plenty of other Atmos tracks playing fine with my Marantz, but I do play them around 36-40 on my receiver. (Thinking of using an old Marantz receiver as an amp to use to power my Height Atmos speakers and maybe get myself up to a 11.2 setup) Sadly the Disney problem is mentioned in almost all the review sites you visit. Thor: Ragnorok sub action was overall pretty weak, even with volume turned up. Just watched a bit of The Last Jedi and thankfully the sub was working well at that adjusted volume. Pretty much all my Disney purchases have been from the UK but suffer the same fate as the North American releases.