• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Open box and returned equipment

EM3

Just wondering what everyones stance is on this thing. I have been looking at some equipment and as usual there is some tempting offers if you are willing to buy open box items or returns. Most of the stuff has manufacturers warranty still valid.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
For me it depends on what the item is. Things with moving parts, like a Blu-ray player I don't think I would buy as an open box item. It would have to be factory refurbished at least, and from a company I trust.

Also, I won't get open box/refurbished items unless there is a pretty decent mark down. I prefer new, and am willing to pay more for that, but I know not everybody is in that position.

firestorm

Back around 2004 or so, the Yamaha RX-V1300 I bought was a display unit. I was a $900 receiver that I got for $620, IIRC. That was a great buy. That was a mom and pop shop though, and not a place like Best Buy where display units are more likely to be unattended and abused.

I got burned with a Sony DVD player I bought as an open box item at Best Buy. It had nothing to do with it being an open box item however. It was just a shitty model, and had a problem reading some newer DVD pressings, supposedly because of aggressive copy protection in the player.

I dunno... I take this on a case by case basis, depending on the item and the cost, and of course the savings. I am currently a fan of Canon DSLR refurbs, but mostly because they seemed to up their game. They're sending out good, clean items, and extended the warranty on refurbs to a year. My 7D was a refurb, and it looked like it had never been used. I LOVE that camera, and absolutely no regrets there.

Things like speakers, receivers, amps... with the stuff I'd be interested in buying, it's doubtful anybody could have hurt any of those things. If it works when you get home, I imagine you have a good buy. Something like an open box PC or laptop though.... meh.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
I bought my current Samsung Plasma tv over 5 years ago and is still going strong. It was a floor model display. Some items I don’t think I would buy open box wise like a DVD player. At least I could see the tv I bought was working fine and came with a 3 year warranty to boot. If they offered a warranty with said purchase of a few years, then it might be worth it.

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
With the amount of trouble I've had with equipment I wouldn't unless it was with a dealer I know I can just return it directly to. I've had a giant pain in the ass with Best Buy on two different Marantz products and a Denon DVD player. (And those were all new-in-box items)

And I'll never forget/forgive Best Buy for their terrible customer service with that Denon DVD player. I sent it in for repair when the door stopped working. They returned it twice after many many weeks of "service" still broken. One of those times the service detail sheet indicated they had "changed the chemicals" in order to fix the door problem. :/

(also note that those items were purchased from Magnolia, which is supposed to be higher end service. it isn't)

I've had awesome service from Emotiva and Axiom though. (If you're in the market for that kind of thing do check them out)

EM3

For me it depends on what the item is. Things with moving parts, like a Blu-ray player I don't think I would buy as an open box item. It would have to be factory refurbished at least, and from a company I trust.

Also, I won't get open box/refurbished items unless there is a pretty decent mark down. I prefer new, and am willing to pay more for that, but I know not everybody is in that position.
Yeah I was looking at some speakers....

EM3

With the amount of trouble I've had with equipment I wouldn't unless it was with a dealer I know I can just return it directly to. I've had a giant pain in the ass with Best Buy on two different Marantz products and a Denon DVD player. (And those were all new-in-box items)

And I'll never forget/forgive Best Buy for their terrible customer service with that Denon DVD player. I sent it in for repair when the door stopped working. They returned it twice after many many weeks of "service" still broken. One of those times the service detail sheet indicated they had "changed the chemicals" in order to fix the door problem. :/

(also note that those items were purchased from Magnolia, which is supposed to be higher end service. it isn't)

I've had awesome service from Emotiva and Axiom though. (If you're in the market for that kind of thing do check them out)
Music Direct....I was looking at speakers like I need any more

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
With speakers, it would have to be factory refurbished, not just open box. You don't have any idea how the speakers have been abused while out of their box. Like I said, it would have to be a hell of a discount (say, more than 30%) for me to even consider it.

firestorm

I'd consider open box speakers locally, from a reputable place. I dunno... I think I'd want a pretty good discount though. With shipping from online retailers, I'd agree with Taxi about wanting factory refurbished.

I have no problem buying used though, especially at the right price. Nice speakers are generally owned by responsible adults. i.e. Don't buy Cerwin Wega party speakers. The Paradigm Monitor 9 towers I restored were pretty abused, but the only real casualty was one tweeter, and the tweeters in those often burned up from problems with the ferrofluid. I don't think the previous owner knew what he had, and just liked that they went low and loud.

EM3

This is an online vendor Music Direct and I was looking at Wharfedale Diamond speakers since KEF floorstanders are expensive. Well to me they are.. Ever since I got my KEF Q100's I have wanted to hear something different. I love the KEF's and the imagining and sound stage are fantastic. Just curious as to how other brands sound.

chlngr1970

"Project Man"
Administrator
I bought my Pioneer Elite SC97 open Box for $700 +tax. My dad got a Sony 1080P projector for more than 50% off. I just picked up the Marantz 8802 at a pawn shop for 27% of retail. I got my Definative Texhnologoes Sub open Box. I try to get them to take more off when I go tho. If I can afford mew, I'll do it. But i got no problem buying open box, or even from a pawn shop for that matter.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
:lol:

I should probably add, because it wasn't clear in my previous post, that I have no problem with buying used equipment. Factory refurbished/open box items are typically priced like new equipment, whereas used equipment typically comes at a significant discount. It's all about price. :)

ellisr63

Personally I would consider buying Turntables, DAC's, amps, and speakers open box. I would not buy a TV or projector demo unit as they are usually left on all day in the stores.