• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Oppo to cease production of new product

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
Oh no. This is really terrible and paints quite the picture for the future of our hobby. Lower quality, streaming and no physical discs is obviously the direction we're headed.

DOOOOOM. :(

tomdkat

I read about this *today* and I'm *not* happy about this, at all. :( Considering, an Oppo player was going to be my first Blu-Ray disc player, I have some serious decisions to make. *sigh*

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.... I'm away from the forum, for a spell, and this happens. What's next, dogs and cats living together or something?????????

Peace...

zepherman

Late posting on this, but like the rest of you, I am also quite bummed to see Oppo leaving the disc spinner business. I was waiting on buying an Oppo 203 until I got a new TV for the HT room. Then I learn that Oppo is no longer making them. So at that point I was SOL!

I own two Oppo’s, a BDP-93 and BDP-103, and they are the best players I own! The Denon A1UDCI universal player probably offers the best PQ for a Blu-ray player, but the two Oppo’s will run circles around it in load speed times.

The Sony X800 4K player is great all around. Solid build quality, reasonably quick loading times, and so far (on mine anyway) issue free. It doesn’t have Dolby Vision, or HDR10+, but at its price point it’s a quality player.

With Oppo not an option anymore, the only players that will somewhat fill the gap is the Cambridge CXUHD, and the soon to be released Panasonic UB9000. Of the two, my personal choice will be the Panasonic UB9000. It offers a ton of very useful features and not only has Dolby Vision, but also HDR10+. And not that it means as much anymore, it is also THX certified.

It’s priced at $1,000, so it is nearly twice as expensive as the Oppo 203 was. For what it offers, it’s more on par with the Oppo 205. I plan on buying a Panasonic UB9000 this October when they are available to buy. I hope it’s everything it’s supposed to be.

zepherman

Yes, you’re right. The Pioneer looks like a great choice as well. There are rumors of a possible higher end Pioneer 4K player coming soon. But knowing Pioneer, it’ll be priced in the $2K range.