1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinball

Discussion in 'Games' started by brian, Jul 26, 2013.

1. brian

brian Well-Known Member

I hear you, I tend to like specific designers as well.

Lawlor made a few designs for Stern but I don't think any of them were classic. I guess he's making a Jersey Jack table, maybe given a decent budget he can shine again? I love some Addams Family and Funhouse, and see Lawlor as the quintessential pinball gadget guy, but his games aren't my favorite to play.

Star Trek is a Steve Ritchie design. I love his games - had a Rollergames, but he is also responsible for TNG/High Speed/Flash/High Speed II/F14/Terminator 2 among others. I'm down with his designs and find them pretty fun even if they can be pretty samey - they're fast and the shots flow well. If I had the cash, I'd love a premium modern Trek table. And Star Trek TNG. And pretty much anything else by Mr. Ritchie.

MM guy - yeah, he just sort of disappeared.

2. Taxi

Taxi Administrator Administrator

Hmm. I didn't know that Lawlor made any Stern pins. I'll have to check that out.

I've heard Ritchie's name before, probably from TNG. That is a fun pin. (And T2. I played the fuck out of that in college.)

3. brian

brian Well-Known Member

Lawlor did Monopoly, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and I believe CSI.

His sleeper hit among pinball nerds is Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Taxi likes this.
  4. brian

brian Well-Known Member

So. Every new Stern pinball game gets a launch party here - basically an excuse to throw a party, have a tournament, promote a new game, and have prizes.

Ghostbusters will be special though. Ernie FUCKING Hudson will be joining us. I don't have the details, but having the opportunity to play pinball with a Ghostbuster is pretty much a dream.

Taxi and EM3 like this.
  5. brian

brian Well-Known Member

Just to ride on the Ernie Hudson train (1 year later), Ernie Hudson was delivered his very own Ghostbusters machine on a pallet, left outside on his driveway. Cue my friend getting a call that Ernie needs a pinball person to help set-up his machine, and fix his Congo pinball. My friend brags to me, and I ask to come along. Radio silence, until my friend says "I need your appliance dolly." I come with the appliance dolly.

It was a good afternoon - Ernie was really kind and talked with us quite a bit, indulging me on whatever nerd talk I had as well as giving my friend advice on writing.

Relevant information: Ernie has a dog named "Winston." I'm unclear if he's had several dogs named Winston over the years.

It's true that he wanted the part of Winston in the 1980s ghostbusters cartoon, but they told him "You don't sound like Winston" and gave the part to Arsenio Hall.

Bill Murray only agreed to do the Ghostbusters Videogame if they recorded his dialogue while he was golfing.

ernie-hudson.jpg

EM3, Iguana Man and Taxi like this.
  6. Taxi

WOW. That is amazing! Thanks brian!

(See guys, it IS important to have an appliance dolly!)

So, since he already had a Congo machine, I'm assuming he's into pinball? Did you get to play his Ghostbusters machine, and how was it? (And why is your friend pointing at the coin mechanism like that?)

7. brian

brian Well-Known Member

Hi Taxi! Indeed, the appliance dolly is the hero of the story.

He received both Congo and Ghostbusters pinball machines because he asked for it as part of payment for providing voicework in the games (Hudson was also a star in Congo). I don't believe he personally plays, and mentioned that his grandkids play. He did say to his son that it would be cool to get a few more pinball games though.

I didn't play his version, though have played it a bit on location near me - I'm not in love with the game, there are some brutally hard shots (Left orbit shot is tight! As is the right ramp on the premium) and the flipper gap is wider than normal, so you get some evil and cheap drains on this title. The artwork is fantastic as is the theming. I don't think I have enough time on it to give it a definitive opinion.

My friend is just mugging for the camera, pretending that he's fixing the game.

8. Taxi

Ah. So a typical Stern then. They seem to have embraced the notion of the "short ball" because that's what generates the most revenue for the owner in a public place. At least, that's how the last few Stern tables I've played have felt. (The Walking Dead and Mustang if I remember right.)

Or maybe I'm just getting worse at pinball. ;)

9. brian

brian Well-Known Member

I think it's more of a designer thing - John Trudeau did both Ghostbusters and Mustang. His games are kind of assholes.

I also thought Walking Dead was a beast of a game - it kicked my ass A LOT but I seem to have figured that one out.

Play a Steve Ritchie game like Star Trek/Spider-Man and you'll likely get longer ball times like the games he did for Bally/Williams.

I also recommend X-Men.

10. Wirehed

Wirehed NSFW Administrator Administrator

Oh wow! How rad!

11. brian

brian Well-Known Member

Alright, as long as I'm talking pinball+celebrities...

I was at a tournament last month in Arizona (didn't compete, was just tagging along) and hey, there's Alice Cooper! At Alice Cooper's Town

He didn't seem to want to hang around, so no photo with him unfortunately.

alice cooper.jpg
    But wait...

Adam West! This was at Pinball Expo near Chicago this past fall. If you purchased the new Stern Batman (at some ridiculously high price, $8000 or more I believe) you could meet Adam West.

I did not purchase a pinball machine. My operator friend let me take his ID and claim I was him so I could get in. Adam West said something like "Hello miss... err.. um... mister"

Thanks Adam....
    14732344_10103723314355248_2260483981231107461_n (1).jpg

Still cool that my friend let me in on this.

... and the previous time I met Hudson, that time at the launch party one of my friends put on for the new Ghostbusters pinball machine. My friend and I can pretend that we're best friends with Hudson now, seeing as we're pictured with him twice. 13118902_10103334624517798_5324315050632888072_n.jpg

Taxi likes this.
  12. Taxi

Well, I've never met any celebs from pinball hobby, but I did meet a really cool guy in Roseville, CA (where I bought my Whirlwind from) and he had lots of pins in his house and was happy to show them to us. (I bought the pinball with a friend of mine.) He showed us a machine I'd never seen before, Road Show, which has two talking heads very similar to the Rudy head in FunHouse. I was a big fan of FunHouse, played it for hours when I was still in school.

My friend started playing the Road Show machine, and went for at least 5 minutes on one ball. (That's a lot for you non-pin guys. :) ) The game looked like fun, and except for the country music, was a nearly perfect machine. If I ever get the space (and a job) I hope to add Road Show to my small collection, along with a Twilight Zone and Medieval Madness. (Yeah right.)

13. brian

brian Well-Known Member

Road show is pretty cool! I don't have much time on it, but there's a lot of fun shots. I think I even like the country music as it immediately dates the game, just adds to the quirkiness.

I think I'm one of the few that doesn't get into Twilight Zone, though like just about every other game designed by that guy (Addams Family, Whirlwind, Funhouse, Road Show, etc) but it's a beautiful table.

14. Taxi

Pat Lawlor.

TZ has a lot of tough shots, but we had one in the break room where I used to work (free play) so I spent a lot of time on it. It's one of my favorites.

15. Wirehed

Wirehed NSFW Administrator Administrator

I have nothing to add, but I really love the pinball talk. :)

16. brian

brian Well-Known Member

If you're ever in Minneapolis, give me a shout and we'll play pinball together :)

Wirehed likes this.