• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Piracy: what are your thoughts?

tomdkat

So, I told one of my colleagues I own "She's Gotta Have It" on DVD and he asked it he could borrow it.....so he could rip it and add it to his media server. I told him no because I don't support that kind of activity. Buying used DVDs is fine, giving away DVDs you own is fine, renting or borrowing DVDs for the sole purpose to rip and then returning or giving away the physical media is something I consider wrong.

What do you think?

Peace...

firestorm

It’s completely wrong. And the practice makes my life a pain in the ass, as someone with a legitimate purpose behind ripping movies to a media server. I own each and every one of my movies, and yet, what I’m doing technically isn’t legal because I have to defeat copy protection to do it. Aside from that, there’s the anti piracy warnings that all us legitimate owners have to put up with.

The other practice I find distasteful, albeit more gray.... buying combo sets, and giving or selling the DVD copy.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
The other practice I find distasteful, albeit more gray.... buying combo sets, and giving or selling the DVD copy.
I will say selling bad, but fine giving away the DVD. You bought the set and should be able to do what you want. I do it for my sister a lot with my animated films to keep my nieces entertained.

Now here’s another hiccup to the discussion. I see a lot of 3D blu-ray owners on other boards taking the Atmos track and burning it along with a copy of the 3D disc to get the higher end soundtrack. Warner Bros use to give us the Atmos track but now give 3D films the shaft with a 5.1 DTS-HDMA track. Plenty of space obviously for the Atmos track on there, and offer non Atmos equipped owners the core 7.1 TrueHD to use

tomdkat

Now here’s another hiccup to the discussion. I see a lot of 3D blu-ray owners on other boards taking the Atmos track and burning it along with a copy of the 3D disc to get the higher end soundtrack. Warner Bros use to give us the Atmos track but now give 3D films the shaft with a 5.1 DTS-HDMA track. Plenty of space obviously for the Atmos track on there, and offer non Atmos equipped owners the core 7.1 TrueHD to use
Please excuse me but I'm very new to Dolby Atmos. (I haven't even heard it yet! lol)

So, save the Atmos audio along with the 3D video and then return or give away the disc? This has been so much of a problem, Warner Bros no longer includes the Atmos audio on 3D film releases on Blu-Ray Disc? Is that what you're telling us?

Peace...

tomdkat

Yes, this is a gray area. I mean giving away the DVD copy effectively means you're giving away the license to that version of the content. If you're not interested in it, so be it. I liken that to Netflix streaming. I still have the DVD rental plan with Netflix but I let my brother use the streaming service. I never streamed anything, but my brother streamed everything. Since Netflix got their money and *I* wasn't streaming anything, I didn't think that was wrong. Now, if both my brother and I were streaming, *that* would be wrong.

Peace...

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Please excuse me but I'm very new to Dolby Atmos. (I haven't even heard it yet! lol)

So, save the Atmos audio along with the 3D video and then return or give away the disc? This has been so much of a problem, Warner Bros no longer includes the Atmos audio on 3D film releases on Blu-Ray Disc? Is that what you're telling us?

Peace...
I think they keep the original discs too. They just take the Atmos track from the regular bluray, rip track to hard drive, copy the 3D disc picture and lay the Atmos track on top and burn themselves a new disc or play from the HDD. Many have family that sometimes want 3D and some prefer the 2D

So yeah Warner no longer gives us an Atmos track on 3D discs. Blurays and UHD get the Atmos track now or a core 7.1 TrueHD track. They downgrade us 3D viewers to a simple 5.1 DTS-HDMA

tomdkat

Gotcha. Interesting people would go to through that effort to get Atmos audio with 3D video. I'm not really a 3D guy, so maybe that makes sense to someone who IS into 3D. Downgrading 3D discs to 5.1 dts-hdma seems a bit much. On a side note, does dts-hdma support 7.x or is it only 5.1?

Peace...

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Gotcha. Interesting people would go to through that effort to get Atmos audio with 3D video. I'm not really a 3D guy, so maybe that makes sense to someone who IS into 3D. Downgrading 3D discs to 5.1 dts-hdma seems a bit much. On a side note, does dts-hdma support 7.x or is it only 5.1?

Peace...
That can go 7.1 as well.

EM3

I think they keep the original discs too. They just take the Atmos track from the regular bluray, rip track to hard drive, copy the 3D disc picture and lay the Atmos track on top and burn themselves a new disc or play from the HDD. Many have family that sometimes want 3D and some prefer the 2D

So yeah Warner no longer gives us an Atmos track on 3D discs. Blurays and UHD get the Atmos track now or a core 7.1 TrueHD track. They downgrade us 3D viewers to a simple 5.1 DTS-HDMA
Thats too much work if I was going to steal it

chlngr1970

"Project Man"
Administrator
Dolby Atmos adds two to four overhead speakers to an already 5.1, or 7.1 surround system. Below is as 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos enabled system. DTS-X uses a similar speaker layout.

Hope this helps.

j

Attachments

chlngr1970

"Project Man"
Administrator
As to the OP, I'm disappointed in people, but not surprised at how easy people go to piracy. Technology has made it so easy, and societies "I can do what I want" attitude with digital media, have brought us to such overreach as the DMCA, and encryption of of our beloved DVD/ Blu Ray/ and Streaming content. IMHO, this all stems from music file sharing, like Napster.

j

tomdkat

As to the OP, I'm disappointed in people, but not surprised at how easy people go to piracy. Technology has made it so easy, and societies "I can do what I want" attitude with digital media, have brought us to such overreach as the DMCA, and encryption of of our beloved DVD/ Blu Ray/ and Streaming content. IMHO, this all stems from music file sharing, like Napster.

j
I hear you. I fairly recently had a friend ask me to help him setup a VPN so he could stream "free content" over the Internet. I refused to help.

Peace...