• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

R.I.P. Neil Peart (1952-2020)

tomdkat

You've probably heard, by now, that Neil Peart of Rush died on January 7, 2020. He lost a 3 1/2 year fight with brain cancer. You all know I'm a Rush fan, but Neil Peart had special significance, in my life. He was an inspiration to me and some aspects of my personal work ethic are inspired by him. When I heard the news, I was devastated (something that doesn't happen to me) and I actually broke down in tears.

In any event, I wanted to post about it here since this has impacted me so much.

Peace...

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
I had a similar reaction. Rush is one of my favorite bands, and as a fledgling drummer, I have always been in awe of Peart's skills.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
I’ll admit, even as a Canadian, I was not a huge Rush fan. I don’t mind some of their music but there was no denying how fucking talented this man was. The thing I think hurt especially hard for Canadian fans was that we lost him to the same rare brain cancer that Gord Downie, lead singer of The Tragically Hip died from. They are 2 of Canada most iconic bands and we lost 2 icons in less then 3 years apart.

fun fact was that my brother came *this close* about 8-10 years moving him into his new waterfront home here in my home town. Sadly he was taken off the move a night or two before it was to take place. Pissed him right off too.

tomdkat

I had a similar reaction. Rush is one of my favorite bands, and as a fledgling drummer, I have always been in awe of Peart's skills.
Wow, I didn't know you played drums. Astrotama on YouTube is one of my favorite YouTube contributors:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCoJUBMJSGqzFkZwbhwKGfA

He hasn't posted new videos in years, but he's really fun to watch. This is something I would totally do, if I had the gumption to get off my ass. lol

Peace...

tomdkat

I’ll admit, even as a Canadian, I was not a huge Rush fan. I don’t mind some of their music but there was no denying how fucking talented this man was. The thing I think hurt especially hard for Canadian fans was that we lost him to the same rare brain cancer that Gord Downie, lead singer of The Tragically Hip died from. They are 2 of Canada most iconic bands and we lost 2 icons in less then 3 years apart.
Interesting.

fun fact was that my brother came *this close* about 8-10 years moving him into his new waterfront home here in my home town. Sadly he was taken off the move a night or two before it was to take place. Pissed him right off too.
I would have been pissed off too!!!

Peace...

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Now as a drummer I gotta ask because they brought up the same thing on my local radio station. If you’re a drummer you must have at least one thing that has Animal from The Muppets near by too