• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Receiver possibly on the way out

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
So about 4 years ago I purchased a Marantz sr7010 and worked great out of the box, but has started to act a little odd with each new firmware they release. I was trying to stream a movie last night via my Series X but picture and sound were cutting in and out. Then I went to my Oppo 203 which has a direct HDMI connection to my NX7 projector and audio on a separate HDMI connection. Video plays fine but audio once again goes in and out. I have swapped between 4 cables and still have the same audio issue, but pass through works with my tv connection. I have tried to apply a factory reset, but even that doesn’t seem to be working properly. I’m still gonna fiddle around with it and see if I can get it working properly again, but I think I’m probably looking at a new receiver soon. I don’t want to spend a lot of money but I still want my 5.2.4 atmos setup, and so I will need to spend some money. (Damn Canadian prices) I won’t lie, but I‘m sorta looking at the new Yamaha RX-A6A receiver as my next possible purchase.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Ok I got it to finally reset, which also means I lost all my firmware updates as well. So I lost my Atmos/DTS:X firmware update. My picture with sound issue seems to of cleared itself with the 10 minutes I ran the receiver for last night. I tried to re-download the firmware to get everything back but currently not happening with my system not recognizing the need to download. Maybe the rest overnight will trigger something today when I go to power the system back on again.

will keep you updated, but looks like I might have time with her yet.

ok I tried again and after 10 minutes of being on. The receiver just doesn’t seem to wanna function properly. Plain Dolby Digital seems to be fine, but when I try using a higher audio codec like TrueHD (trying to get Atmos) the sound will start to cut in and out. Even my colours are looking a little more muted going through the receiver. Looking more and more likely an upgrade/purchase will be needed

Last edited:

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
Ugh, I hate having to replace things that were otherwise working for me.

I've got that same Yamaha on pre-order, I'm waiting for it to ship!

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Ugh, I hate having to replace things that were otherwise working for me.

I've got that same Yamaha on pre-order, I'm waiting for it to ship!
I saw they were to of been out this week or next, but have been delayed until beginning of October because of the Covid shipping issues still present. I guess that gives me time to save more money but has neutered my movie watching to my TV if I want constant sound :confused:

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
So it now looks like the Yamaha receivers won’t be out in my neck of the woods until November now. :eek: So I‘m now debating on skipping the Yamaha and am now looking at possibly the Denon 6700 which is a few hundred dollars more then the Yamaha. I know they had issues with VRR and the HDMI ports but seem to of been remedied after some recalls/fixes. I actually prefer the look of the Yamaha receiver and I wonder if it runs cooler then the reviews I’ve seen for the Denon. Reason I say that is because my setup is still in my bedroom and would be sitting close to the device.

I just don’t think I could last 2 or more months without my surrounds.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Denon x6700 today. Have to wait for the store to receive it and could be up to 2 weeks, but it will be the fixed HDMI 2.1 receiver. Won’t have to have Denon send me their adaptor box for the fix

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
I've kind of soured on Denon as a brand. When I needed a new receiver for my non-home-theater setup upstairs, I first went with a Denon receiver (I don't remember any of the model numbers, it wasn't the top of the line, but it wasn't their cheapest receiver either) and was so disappointed in the sound quality, verified by Pirate was well, that I sent it back. I went with one of the Yamaha Aventage receivers, and am very happy with the results. That was maybe six years ago.

I've owned several Yamaha products over the years, and have always been extremely happy with their sound quality. The only issue I have with my newest Yamaha receiver is that the network streaming server switched to a pay service. I used to listen to local radio stations over the net, since my over-the-air reception is poor. (I live on the back side of a small mountain from most Portland radio transmitters.) Maybe two years after I bought the receiver, they switched the station finding to a paid service. The price was relatively cheap, but it was the principle of the thing that pissed me off. Felt like bait and switch.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
At the theatre before we went all digital projectors. We had Yamaha receivers and amps to swap the sound source for our theatre receiver/amp rack. Never had a problem with them for any of the events we used them for, and had 2 separate Yamaha receivers setup this way for each theatre side. I really did want to go the new Yamaha’s but the delays were gonna be too painful of a wait. Plus the reworked, hdmi kinks fixed have move this into a top tier receiver from the revisited fixed reviews

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
I'm still daily using my Yamaha DSP A-1, so that's around 25 years of use! It still sounds amazing in my office set-up.

On a completely unrelated note, my Emotiva amp (a-100) just died. I was using this for my PC, now I have to replace it. I've had a lot of bad luck with Emotiva.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
I'm still daily using my Yamaha DSP A-1, so that's around 25 years of use! It still sounds amazing in my office set-up.
I still have the 2095 that I got right about the same time you got your A-1. I remember being slightly jealous. ;)
On a completely unrelated note, my Emotiva amp (a-100) just died. I was using this for my PC, now I have to replace it. I've had a lot of bad luck with Emotiva.
NO WAY. Mine just died too! It is making terrible popping and static-y noises in one channel. Is that what yours is doing too?

I emailed Emotiva support about it and they told me to spin the volume knob back and forth 30+ times, thinking the potentiometer was oxidized. I own plenty of guitars/basses to know what that sounds like, and I knew it wasn't that. But I tried it anyway, and of course it didn't fix it.

I picked up the SMSL SA300 2 channel amp as a cheap replacement. I don't think it sounds quite as good as the A-100, but it's so damn cute and really it sounds 95% as good.

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
Yes! That's exactly what mine is doing! Just the right channel, and the static sounds the same regardless of the volume.

I'm looking at replacing it with a Rotel RB-1552 MKII or the Rotel A-14 integrated amp/dac since the price is almost the same. At least that would be an upgrade, though this is just for PC gaming so.... lol?