• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Replacing DVDs with Blu-Ray discs

tomdkat

So, as you buy Blu-Ray discs to replace DVDs, what are you doing with your old DVDs?

Peace...

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
I gave most of mine to my sister. She has here own house, family and kids now and worth giving her some sanity time by plopping them kids in front of a tv for some entertainment time. Still have a shitload of dvds that I wouldn’t mind getting rid of. . .or upgraded too bluray or 4K.

I have a problem

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
A couple years ago Amazon was paying decent money for some DVDs, like over $2, but for many they would only give like 10-50 cents, so I have a big box of those. I'm not even sure if they do buy-backs anymore.

EM3

Right now I am only upgrading mine if there is a significant jump in picture and audio quality plus I know know I will watch it multiple times. At one time I bought everything even if I only watched it once but not anymore. The wife sold several dvd's on Facebook through local trade and sell groups and I gave some away.

tomdkat

If the bluray doesn't include all of the special features, I put the dvd in the case with the bluray with a stick on hub. Otherwise, I put them in storage.
Oooooo, great idea. Thanks for the responses, guys.

In this day and age of streaming, are many people still interested in getting DVDs, even if given them for free?

Peace....

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Oooooo, great idea. Thanks for the responses, guys.

In this day and age of streaming, are many people still interested in getting DVDs, even if given them for free?

Peace....
I would easily take the physical format over the digital. Just look at ultraviolet shutting down in the summer and leaving some movies never to be used again. Sucks for Canadians because we don’t have movies anywhere to link them too. Tell us to use Flixster app but even that has already locked some of my movies already

So give me the disc. Plus they still have the better picture/audio quality

firestorm

I recently donated a box full of DVDs to goodwill. I purged anything I don’t watch anymore. I held onto the best to give to friends or family, or else sell in a garage sale or something. The biggest is the LOTR EE sets. I hate to see those go, but they’re redundant. I know terminator 2 is in there too.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Yeah, I collect a lot of films that disappear from streaming services for various reasons, many never to return. I don't need that kind of stress in my life. :)
Yeah just the “where the hell did I put the disc” and “who didn’t put the disc in the proper case” kinda stress. . . well my family anyways. My older sister was terrible at this and one time had a 30-40 case swap to proper disc session. Still prefer it over streaming

tomdkat

The movies are never guaranteed to be on the service, unless it's an exclusive. Also, as Ultraviolet proved, they can just shut down at any time.
Yeah, this frustrates me as well. I mean I'm not "mr streaming" or anything, but my mom complains about various shows she watches online are either re-runs or the episodes she wants to see are no longer available. So, I've been buying the complete series of shows she likes on DVD, so we can watch everything, anytime. Project Runway has been frustrating because only the first 8 seasons are on DVD. Seasons 9-16 are on Amazon Prime *only* (or at least mostly). *sigh* That kind of thing really pisses me off.

Peace...

tomdkat

Yeah just the “where the hell did I put the disc” and “who didn’t put the disc in the proper case” kinda stress. . . well my family anyways. My older sister was terrible at this and one time had a 30-40 case swap to proper disc session. Still prefer it over streaming
I can understand that too, but I chock that up to "physical media management". If you don't keep your physical media "on lock down", what you describe wouldn't happen (at least as much). I do realize what I describe isn't practical, in the real world, but I do think it's something that can be managed. There are some DVDs I won't loan out *at all* and others I have no problem loaning out. I have to use that, as an example, because I have no kids. :) lol

Peace...

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
Quality is an issue as well. Streaming is uneven and sometimes unpredictable. Actually we were watching Netflix last night and with about 2 minutes left on the show it stopped playing and Netflix popped a message up saying they were experiencing difficulty with the episode and to please watch something else. Grrrr.

tomdkat

Quality is an issue as well. Streaming is uneven and sometimes unpredictable. Actually we were watching Netflix last night and with about 2 minutes left on the show it stopped playing and Netflix popped a message up saying they were experiencing difficulty with the episode and to please watch something else. Grrrr.
Wow.... that would totally piss me off. For Christmas, I bought my mom a subscription to AcornTV. The Amazon FireTV application works, but would frequently crash MID-FLIPPIN SHOW and we would be returned to the Amazon FireTV menu. So, I canceled my mom's subscription to AcornTV..... lol

Peace....

firestorm

We stream a lot, but i still buy the must-have titles. Netflix sometimes acts up, but 98% of the time, it’s problem free. It’s simply convenient. Newer devices are less problematic. The XBox One does very well, as do every Roku player we’ve owned. Amazon and Hulu work well, but something about the interfaces puts me off.

I only recently signed up for Hulu (12 mo for. $12), and it’s nice to see Stargate SG1 again, even with commercials, but then again, it showed up under Prime on Amazon at the same time. There are a few others thankfully, such as Rick and Morty.

Even disks though... most are ripped to the server, with all the BS removed, like fbi warnings. Still, they sit proudly on display in the home theater. They don’t get abused or mixed up either.

Last edited: