• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Secrets reviews the new Oppo HDR Blu-ray player

EM3

Lets cut to the chase shall we

• Dolby Vision support via firmware update
  • Excellent audio quality
  • Good upscaling of Blu-ray and DVD
  • Can be used as central media hub
  • Heavy, solid construction
Would Like To See
  • 4K Streaming apps such as Netflix and Amazon Prime
  • More-efficient use of Home Menu screen space
  • A transport-only player
Thanks for the link Taxi it was good read.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Secrets has done a review of the new audiophile version of the Oppo 4K UHD player ($1200)

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...tra-hd-audiophile-blu-ray-disc-player-review/
If you’re looking for one machine to check most of your needs off the list, the UDP-205 needs to be seriously considered. For the rest of the market, OPPO’s entry level UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray disc player should be looked at. It’s not overbuilt as the UDP-205 and doesn’t sound the same, but its image quality is identical and its sound via bit stream should be right on with appropriate jitter reduction.
Personally, I think I would go for the cheaper version myself. I don't really need XLR outputs.

Last edited:

tomdkat

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...p-203-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-player-review/

(Spoiler: they liked it.)

No streaming apps though. That could be a killer for some people. Of course, I don't want to hang out with those people.

For $549, this appears to be the new reference universal player.
I'm glad they liked it. If they liked it, I'll probably love it! :) I'm not really a "streaming" kind of guy either, even though I watch some streaming content at my mom's house.

Will you still hang out with me, Taxi? :)

Peace...

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Will you still hang out with me, Taxi? :)
I stream TV shows because I cut the cable cord a few years back, and I can only get the major networks over the air. (And my reception is pretty poor out here in the sticks.)

Until 4K uncompressed streaming is an option (which continually seems "10 years away") I don't see me giving up Blu-ray or HDR disc media any time soon.

tomdkat

I stream TV shows because I cut the cable cord a few years back, and I can only get the major networks over the air. (And my reception is pretty poor out here in the sticks.)
Gotcha. I've been buying TV show series on DVD (used) for my mom. Right now, I'm in the middle of a "Project Runway" acquisition. My mom likes watching the shows with someone (me, at the current moment) and I like watching the shows without commercials. So far, I've purchased CSI: Miami, Wire in the Blood (British), Dalziel & Pascoe (British), Project Runway (seasons 1-5).

She also watches a few shows on Hulu or Amazon Prime but she'll watch those alone. The guys at work stream just about anything AND will prefer to stream a show vs watching it on DVD or Blu-Ray (if I have a disc I can loan them). Oh well, c'est la vie. :)

Peace...

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Just placed an order for the Oppo 203 just a few moments ago. I’m a weak man but I will be buying the region free kit too cause it is getting harder for me and many other 3D fans to get their movies besides from overseas. Plus it should improve my JVC’s performance with the many HDR tone mapping’s they just released via firmware a week or so ago. Will post impressions once I get my player and self setup

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
72591723-6649-4C4D-82AF-12D07054AB2A.jpeg 01A60FEC-8D1D-4EA7-8C42-739CD0EF8CE0.jpeg Ok so i have had a few days my Oppo and I kind of love it :love:

Previously I had been using my PS4 and XBox One X as my main players for bluray and UHD disc playback. I really haven’t used a dedicated player in about 12-14 years in my setup. My movies always look good and sounded good but now they look amazing and sound amazing. My X1 has been the main go too player because of the upscaling it provided for my disc and did show a slight improvement over my PS4. Plus it played my UHD movies and did a ok job but could never find that sweet spot where I was completely satisfied with the look and colours. It seems like it will still be that way with the Oppo BUT with a much easier way to change on the fly to satisfy my viewing needs. Apparently this is an inherent problem for projector users as we can’t reach the brightness needed for the full HDR effect like a tv can. Plus with no set standard for brightness (nits) It is harder for the projector to zone in on that right setting. Thankfully Oppo is here and has a sort of helping hand solution with a current Beta Firmware update that allows you to adjust the Nits on the fly while you watch using either the remote or the much handier App on your phone/pad device. Basically you remove the hdr but keep the benefits of the bt20.20 colour profile. (wide Colour Gamete) I have even been using the BT20.20 colour profile with my bluray watching and using a custom gamma curve that someone on the AVSForum has been tinkering with and has done a pretty great job with. I have tried it with a lot of Pixar/Disney Animated films and the colour detail and depth it provides at times is pretty fucking amazing. Hard to believe that a 4K disc could actually improve what the Oppo and my JVC projector are doing right now, but I welcome them to try. Batman Vs Superman is still a pretty bad movie but boy do they look pretty. I have 2 picks I took of the movie with one pic being the normal Cinema mode provided by JVC and the other using a custom gamma curve with the bt20.20 colour profile. These pics are from the bluray edition, same paused scene and not the 4K edition. Sort of got a similar look with the X1 but not nearly as sharp or colourful looking as the Oppo can. Not the greatest pics with my phone but you can see that there is a huge difference. Don’t know if you are really suppose to use the WCG bt20.20 4k formatted colour profile with the regular bluray or not. I say it brings new life to disc with a proper gamma curve installed for viewing and doesn’t distort anything viewing wise. I don’t think I can really go back to using anything else when viewing my blurays now.

It’s a small fortune for the player, but so far it is worth every penny

Quick edit note. After I wrote this I tried out Spider-Man: Homecoming and ran into a small issue in that the Oppo won’t allow you to adjust the Nits or anything picture wise with the Beta download like you can with discs rendered in HDR10. So it required me to set a custom profile on the JVC and manually adjust with the projector picture settings to find a good balance. Although it looks like Nits can still be adjusted but you must exit out of the disc to the Oppo home menu screen and adjust them from there. Although you might need to jump back and forth to find the right one for your needs. Unlike HDR10 discs which you can adjust on the fly with the remote or with the app to see the changes in real-time.

Oh and the remote is hefty but very cool. Everything is there for your adjustment needs and automatically lights the buttons up with any slight movement for when you are watching your films in pitch blackness. I liked but wonder how long the batteries will last

Last edited:

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Another small update. I have gone ahead and made my player a Region Free player with this simple install from bluraychip.dk I spent roughly $115cnd but is only $89us for this thing. It’s made and shipped from Denmark but only took 3 days to get here. Just take off the top and and plug into the board and you are pretty much good to go. No Region B blurays to test but played had some DVDs from past purchases from overseas that played no problem. I have been fiddling constantly with the features to get things just right. Tonight for the most part I think I found a sweet spot for where I want the Nits at for the films (400 seems to be on their tone mapping feature the best, but some require to jump up to 800 so heavy white scenes don’t wash out) The Beta I downloaded just became an official patch for all users to use as of last week. So again I say Get this Player

If you had an older Oppo player that you made region free. It seems that chip/USB hack will work on the new 203/205 as well. So that can save you a bit of change if you upgrade or can f8nd them on eBay for almost half the price for what I paid for my kit

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Yeah, I have the 203 now as well, and it's fantastic. Blows the (cheap) LG player I got out of the water. The LG will be demoted to the upstairs screen for when that gets updated to 4K. (Whenever my current Plasma TV gives up.)