1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SilentBob's Not So Silent Theater

Discussion in 'Your Home Theater' started by SilentBob, Jan 9, 2017.

1. SilentBob

SilentBob EH??? Administrator

God damn Upgrade-itis.

Well the bug hit me and it hit me hard this past Xmas, but i think it will be worth it in the end. So i started by upgrading my Sony SR1040 7.1 receiver to a Marantz sr7010 9.1 (11.1 amped) DTS:X/Dolby Atmos receiver. It sells for $2700Cnd but i got it for almost half off. So with that i needed speakers to get myself my overhead sound and so i bought 4 Paradigm CT 100 speakers which came with both a stand and wall mount option. I took the wall mount and screwed them into my ceiling. So now I'm all set for 5.1.4 surround sound (no need to amp for 7.1.4. . . .yet) Sadly i couldn't hide the wires in my walls/ceiling and so it looks a bit messy, but they work. (I'm not Dolby bad) So with that i thought, hey i need a little speaker wire for them. I had my speakers running on old speaker wires i had taken from my old projection job when we upgraded/expanded. It was clunky in-wall wires from 1997 and not even cooper. So i bought a box with 500ft of 16awg cooper cable and redid all of them and finally moved to using Banana Plugs. My god they are a pain to setup but so well worth it in the end. Now for Iggy sake and my own. I need to do a little cleaning before i have some good pics . . . . well ok enough cleanliness to my room in order to post my new setup. Just needed to share my news now.

As far as Atmos sound goes. I need to do a calibration of my speakers with the included mic again, since i just installed my overhead speakers. Although i have, at the time. Boosted them louder than what they probably should be but they seem to be working great. I tried my 3D copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and went straight to the mountain escape scene. Some great overhead sound used from them sliding under the truck to Michelangelo throwing out his nunchuck to grab ahold of the truck. Beautifully hear it swing from the front speakers, smoothly to the overheads and straight into the surround left speaker. Waiting for my Xbox One S upgrade to finally hit so i can bitstream my DTS:X audio off my Jason Bourne 4K disc. I think my Ex Machina blu-ray has a DTS:X track but not the action movie i want to first experience/compare to Atmos with.

So watch for updates to come soon with pics.

raptors661 and Iguana Man like this.
  2. Taxi

Taxi Administrator Administrator

Wow, congrats Bob!

It will be some time before I have the cash to start updating my theater again, but I was reading this article over at Secrets the other day and I was bit by the Atmos bug again, if by only just a little bit.

3. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. Glad you could upgrade and enjoy it. Sounds like you are having a blast.

4. Iguana Man

Iguana Man Well-Known Member Moderator

5. Wirehed

Wirehed NSFW Administrator Administrator

Awesome!

6. SilentBob

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok not the greatest if pics but hey they are what they are. So tonight I'm starting to play catchup on Game of Thrones and started Season 5. The Atmos is pretty damn impressive and i love it. I notice the sound from above but some don't. (will wait for some Dragon flyovers to see if that changes there minds) I will say the biggest improvement with the Marantz 7010 over my old Sony 1040 is the sound quality in my music. The Sony made the bass muddy sounding to me and actually turned my subs off to correct that a bit (still not that great) Now i have my sub on and it sounds like a wave of clarity that i was so badly missing. So still a bit early, but yeah i like my new receiver :D

Some 3D Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles screenshot for fun.
    [​IMG]

Iguana Man, EM3 and Taxi like this.
  7. ellisr63

ellisr63 Well-Known Member

Looks great Bob! I know what you mean with Atmos...some movies are great, but others are lacking. I leave my Yamaha setup to where it converts everything to Atmos, and it sounds great IMO.

8. SilentBob

Yeah I keep searching my movies for Atmos tracks to try out. Tried John Wick and was surprised at the lack of overhead sound. They said the ending with the rain storm was great but found it roo quiet. I did my sound setup measurements for the speakers but I want to notice the overhead and not have that slight blend in with the normal surround. So I have upped the sound on them and have been using the Dolby + Neural:X which seems to expand more of that over head sound than the added Dolby Surround. turtles above and San Andreas have been the best for the use so far for me. Mad Max Fury Road is good but not the Wow I keep reading about. Maybe my new levels will change that

EM3 likes this.
  9. raptors661

raptors661 Northdakotian Peckerwood

Give Star Trek Beyond a spin. The Sabotage scene is a doozy.

10. SilentBob

Well the upped volume of the height speakers worked great, and i also had two option either off/on for my sound options. One was to keep the LFE from spilling downstairs or to the adjourning rooms upstairs. (Off -> On) Then I enabled the Dynamic EQ that was the biggest improvement to the sound. I put in Batman Vs. Superman and WOW big difference in immersion all around, movie is still what it was sadly

I will try Star Trek once I get my hands on a cheap 3D copy :popcorn:

EM3, raptors661 and ellisr63 like this.
  11. SilentBob

I'M A WEAK, WEAK, WEAK MAN

I couldn't help myself and my upgradeitus bug this year has been terrible, but it should be well worth it :D JVC just released their new set of DLA projector a few months ago and so last years models are on sale. So about an hour ago I caved in and have upgraded from my Sony 40ES projector to a JVC X950RB (RS600 stateside) 4K e-shift/HDR 1,5000,000:1 contrast ratio projector. Now I do have a few things I still need to do before pics are up, but they will be up soon. Plus I gotta buy new 3D glasses and a RF emitter to get my 3D movies running again. For the price, you think it would of been built in the projector like my cheaper Sony proj. Plus the gaming lag is suppose to be a bit high and hopefully won't be too much of a pain to get use too

EM3, Iguana Man and Taxi like this.
  12. Wirehed

Wow! Nice!

13. SilentBob

I thought I had posted pictures of my projector but I guess I haven't and can't at the moment. So a small update time. About 2 weeks after I bought it my projector started to shut itself off shortly after the initial startup. Could see the bulb light up and see the iris move but then my lense cover would close itself and flash it's warning lights. I could get it to work after 2-3 tries and had no video problems when on. Then it got to a point where it rarely happened and seemed like a hiccup more than anything. Sadly over the last 2-4 weeks it got pretty damn bad where it took 15-20 tries for something to finally work. Took a video of my problem and sent JVC Canada an email and they told me that it look like one of my video boards had crapped out or became loose inside the projector and needed service. So it went in last week for repair and will hopefully have it back next week at the latest. The only good thing is that they will install my proper BT 20.20 colour profile and proper gamma curves too. So I will try to have pics up for next week or the week after. Just glad my buddy decided not to buy my Sony 40ES projector and is back up and running until my JVC returns

14. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

I hope it is a quick and easy fix.

15. Wirehed

Hope it's returned to you quickly! Glad they are servicing it for you as well.