• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Speaker design and building

EM3

Ok thinking about attempting this and learning about electronics as well. I found a YouTube series on Electronic for beginners. Tonight I will watch some of those and take notes My dumb idea is to design and build a set of speakers. No idea how to do any of it or even how to design a crossover let alone build it. I want to do a speaker that is 2 way but I really would love a 3 way design. Anybody got any good resources I could check out? I found some full range drivers that look wicked cool remind me of KEF design but with a bullet in the middle. I will post the link to those just for fun https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...l-range-neo-driver--295-346#lblProductDetails

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
Awesome! Go for it!

I've wanted to make some post apocalyptic "sewer pipe" speakers from 14" PVC for quite a while, but just haven't had the time to start a large project like that.

Sounds like fun!

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Parts-express is certainly a good resource. You will probably find some discussion of DIY speakers/crossovers at AVS DIY forum.

I've only ever made a sub, and it didn't have a crossover. I'm sure there are some YT vids that show how to design one, but honestly, I doubt that designing your own will get you a better crossover than what has already been engineered by some body else. (Unless you were just really in the mood to design it yourself.)

I've always wanted to build a pair of Klipsh K-Horns. A buddy of mine had the plans from Speakercraft, or maybe it was SpeakerLab, I can't remember. They are/were a Seattle company, but I think they've long since dissolved. When we had the DVDFile Forum meeting in 2000 I think we went there and they weren't selling speaker building instructions anymore. And now I really don't have a spot for two huge korner horns. But maybe someday.

EDIT: I see that only the thumbnails of my sub pics are working. I'll try to fix that...