• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Current State of Home Theater

tomdkat

Hey folks,

I've been away for a while. According to Firefox, I last logged in to this site in January 2016! :eek: :jawdrop: :shake: :vader: (I mean you can't leave Vader out, ya know?)

Anywho, so what have I missed? I see 4k UHD is out now. Is it "real" or just another gimmick? I still have the 65" Mits DLP HDTV I bought from my deceased friend's mom, back in 2008 I think. It's totally in need of replacement but it still works. The screen is almost completely covered with black dots, maybe a few white ones here and there. I've done some reading on that and I think a mirror needs to be adjusted/serviced/cleaned/whatever. (According to AVS Forum, the DLP chip is dying: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/63-re...5889-mitsubishi-wd-62327-black-dots-help.html) I don't use it much, mostly to watch an occasional DVD or some pr0n.

In any event, I'm open to getting a replacement TV but I'm not looking to buy this year. Gotta pay off some debt first. *sigh*

What are your thoughts on Samsung HDTVs?

It's good to login here again. :)

Peace...

EM3

I have a couple of Samsung sets and one is 4k 65 inch I think anf the other is a 60 inch 1080p. So far I haven't viewed any 4k content directly on it. Sad I know but both are being used to mainly view 1080p material such as (gasp) HD cable and blu-rays. I am still not sold on 4k simply because it all depends on your source material. I have seen 4k streamed from a pc to the tv and yes it looks great but I don't think my cable company would love me if I tried to stream 4 k all the time. Also, I dont want to have to start re buying discs any time soon. Now as far as the tv goes I love the color and the ease of on screen menus. Some folks my not agree and maybe I am just used to them by now. They stream Netflix and and other media pretty good. I haven't been plagued by constant updates either. The remote is easy to use. I feel like for the money they are woth it. Also, I haven't had any issues out of mine. I am not sure if this is what you wated.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Who the hell are you:eek: good to see you active again here:beerchug:

I have an old Samsung 51” 3D Plasma tv that is still working and going strong. I don’t mind the picture quality but I guess with the Plasma it gets a slight buzzing like sound and is noticeable during late night viewing where I need the volume down to not disturb other family members (and no it isn’t for pron)

I upgraded to a JVC projector that does the 4k e-shift with HDR. It can be a bit finicky with HDR sometimes. One setting makes the movies look god damn amazing and others I might need to adjust a slight bit to get the same effect. If you do upgrade make sure it has HDR in it or even Dolby Vision. The jump from bluray to the 4k is either leaps and bounds better or just a little prettier. Still if you are upgrading, you might as well get the best you can

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Tom! Good to see you back. Please don't wait two years again before returning. :)

I think the only advice I would give about HDTVs at this point is to go with OLED. MachineGunTony has a 4K LG OLED and it looks amazing. And the price has come down quite a bit, and probably will continue to do so. I do think Samsung, LG, Vizio, Sony, they're all making good TVs right now.

I don't have anything that can do HDR yet. I was unemployed for over two years, so that curtailed my Home Theater purchases, but now that I'm working again, I hope to make some improvements.

tomdkat

Thanks for the info. I'm also thinking OLED would be good. I need to read on the difference between OLED and QLED, if QLED is still even around.

Taxi, I see you mentioned Vizio in the list of manufacturers making good TVs. Does Vizio really compete with Samsung and LG well? For whatever reason, I'm not a Sony guy.

Peace...

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
Well, I don't have a Vizio (My TV is an LG Plasma that I got in 2010) but I've read good things about them, especially on a "price per performance" basis.

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
Beware Vizio quality differs quite a bit depending on model number, and retailer. I'm not sure what is current, but for a long time Vizio TVs sold at Costco were superior to the similar model sold at say Walmart or Target.