1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of 3D?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussions' started by Taxi, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Taxi

Taxi Administrator Administrator

Imax theaters are moving away from 3D, as their revenues in the format are declining.

All I can say is: it's about freaking time!

2. SilentBob

SilentBob EH??? Administrator

I liked them:(

I don't know how many legit IMAX projectors are still used but I do know that the 3D film prints are a bitch to make up. Took the one theater I went too 16-20 hours to put their Polar Express print together. Plus if they also slowly convert them to Laser systems it might also need a new screen to install. I know 3D gets a bad wrap because for the most part It Sucks in Theaters. I haven't experienced a Laser 3D showing yet but I hear that they are amazingly beautiful. One day I will trek into Toronto and see one in action (maybe Blade a runner 2049)The home theater projector market is where it is at, and I personally love the home experience. Sure the glasses aren't always the most comfortable thing to wear at times, but maybe a resurgence will occur if Cameron gets his glasses free systems up and running in time for his new Avatar films in a few years.

3. raptors661

raptors661 Northdakotian Peckerwood

3D doesn't sell at all in my theater. Transformers 5 is selling better now than when the studio was forcing 3 out of 4 showings to be in 3D, and we only have 2 2D showtimes for it now. Same thing happened for Valerian (both movies tanked, I wonder why). Our 1 2D showing has a decent amount of people, and our 3D showtimes have less than 5 people a piece.

4. Wirehed

Wirehed NSFW Administrator Administrator

I'd like it if films focused on story above FX and gimmickry, but that doesn't mean I'm unimpressed with the technology.

5. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

I avoid 3D showings just because every time I go I get a killer headache.