• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

To 4k or not?

EM3

I think I am getting rid of my PS4 and games. Not into gaming that much since I lost my gaming partner. Anyway is 4k worth the upgrade? I have a tv and receiver that can handle 4k. I just cant do atomos or other advanced audio due to my room limitations. I sit about 10 ft at the most from a 65 inch screen. Any opinions as to way I should or shouldnt do it?

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
I just took the plunge into 4K earlier this year. I can definitely see a difference between the old 1080p image and 4K, and the added benefit of HDR is nice as well. But the difference is not "wow" inducing, like the jump from 480i TV to 720p/1080i was.

If your TV and receiver are already 4K capable, then you're just talking about getting a 4K player. Sadly, Oppo isn't making hardware anymore (You can get on the waiting list for the UPD-203, but I don't know if that guarantees you'll get one) so I guess that makes the Panasonic DMP-UB900 the king of the hill right now. If your TV supports HDR, it might be worth it.

Keep in mind that you'll usually have to pay more for 4K discs, at least when they're newly released.

Do you have Netflix? They stream some of their shows in 4K. If you already have a 4K TV, you should check out some of their 4K content to see if it makes an impression on you before upgrading.

EM3

I just took the plunge into 4K earlier this year. I can definitely see a difference between the old 1080p image and 4K, and the added benefit of HDR is nice as well. But the difference is not "wow" inducing, like the jump from 480i TV to 720p/1080i was.

If your TV and receiver are already 4K capable, then you're just talking about getting a 4K player. Sadly, Oppo isn't making hardware anymore (You can get on the waiting list for the UPD-203, but I don't know if that guarantees you'll get one) so I guess that makes the Panasonic DMP-UB900 the king of the hill right now. If your TV supports HDR, it might be worth it.

Keep in mind that you'll usually have to pay more for 4K discs, at least when they're newly released.

Do you have Netflix? They stream some of their shows in 4K. If you already have a 4K TV, you should check out some of their 4K content to see if it makes an impression on you before upgrading.
Yes I have Netflix. Just trying to figure out options to be honest. It's been a tough year plus. I wont go into the details in public but I am looking for a change and to be honest I I fell like screw it. Why not? I know this doesnt make sense. But I am looking for a pick me up to be honest. I guess I will need a 4k compliant cable ugh.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
I will add my 2 cents to this. I know my projector isn’t a true 4K projector but the e-shift 4K and it still shows some nice improvements over some of the blu-ray versions of the film. Some can show some amazing colours that aren’t as pronounced as the blu copy, and nice finer detail too. Like Taxi said it ain’t the big jump that DVD to bluray was, but they are there. The 4K cables are pretty cheap if you only need a 6-15 feet worth from like Monoprice. With the Oppo becoming a needle in a haystack too find. I think Taxi’s Panasonic suggestion would be your next best choice. If not I would maybe trade your PS4 in for the XBox X. Maybe you will find someone later down the road to play games with, and this way you have have a 4K player that also supports Netflix and YouTube 4K

EM3

Yeah I have Netflix.

EM3

I think I found a pretty decent one that supports the music files. Plus it can stream to my phone while dad watches his shows. It does HDR which my tv does and not dolby vision but my tv doesnt handle it anyway.

The Panasonic looks good also. If it could stream to my phone then I would definitely get that.

SAMSUNG UBD-M9500

Design Concept

Curved with Touch Control Buttons and Front OLED Display

Features

Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)

CD Ripping

Multiroom Compatible

Apps Platform
Smart Blu-ray with Full Web Browser and Samsung Apps Smart Hub
Audio Processing

Dolby Decoding

DTS Decoding 

Dolby TrueHD Decoding
Dolby Atmos Decoding
DTS-HD Master Audio Decoding
DTS-X Decoding
Auro 3D Decoding
Video Features

HDR

HD Up-Scaling

UHD Up-scale

Video Upscale (DVD)

AV Decoding Format

WMV
/JPEG
/MKV
Connectivity

360-degree View

Bluetooth®

HDMI Out
 (2)

N Screen (BD to Mobile)

USB Connectivity (1 side)

WiFi

Ethernet

Optical Digital Audio Output
Power Consumption

Stand-by Power Consumption (Main)
0.3W

Operating Power Consumption (Main)
22W

Rating Voltage
 AC 110-120V ~50/60Hz

Supported Media

Ultra HD Blu-ray

AVCHD

Blu-ray

DVD / DVD±R / DVD±RW

Player dimensions (W x H x D)
: 15.98" x 1.77" x 8.88"

Product Weight (lb.): 4.19

Last edited:

EM3

Hey Taxi I checked and my receiver and tv are good to go with the 4k. I do have a few questions though. Should I turn off all the extra audio crap on the receiver like listening modes and let the Panasonic handle all the processing? Anything I need to look for and turn off on the tv or receiver as far as settings go? Any words of wisdom or suggestions for 4k discs to pick up? I just want to know what am doing when I go to get this thing. It's wore than I wanted to spend sice my dad needs a cd player for his stereo as well and I will be getting him one and I will probably have to have them ordered and shipped either to my house or go through Best Buy. Also, if I wait a bit since there is a new model (August maybe) coming out do you think the price might drop some.

Thanks

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
One of my favs was sadly an import. Paddington 2 is probably one of my fav looking discs in my collection. I would also suggest the following films

The Greatest Showman
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Dunkirk
Blade Runner/2049
John Wick 1&2
Planet Earth 2

The great thing with the player is that you can use an HDMI for the video and one for audio. I do that with my Oppo setup and projector. I usually do direct audio and let it send it to my Marantz 7010. I personally like engaging the Neural X over top of my plain TrueHD and DTS:HDMA tracks for my action movies. Does a pretty great job of adding overhead sounds where/when they should be there

Last edited:

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
I've watched the following in 4K:

Apollo 13
Star Trek (The first reboot movie)
Blade Runner 2049
Black Panther

All looked and sounded great. Also, I was upstairs while Pirate was watching Dunkirk, and I can tell you that the LFE on that disk is AMAZING. (So I recently picked it up for cheap off Amazon.) Actually, that's what I've been doing to beef up my 4K library, just check to see what is on sale or selling cheap on Amazon. Usually you can get Deadpool on 4K for under 10 bucks, and there are some other cheap options out there as well, like Red Sparrow, although I can't vouch for that movie, as I haven't watched it yet.

Now as for the sound, we have a slight issue in that the 4K disks with Dolby Atoms are significantly quieter than the same movie on Blu-ray with DTS:HD. The difference is about 11dB quieter, so we normally watch Blu-rays at -11dB, and 4K at 0dB. I'm not sure if that's a Marantz bug, or an Oppo bug, or what.

As for things to turn on/off, we have all the smoothness stuff turned off. Pirate hates what they call the "soap opera" effect. My old eyes have a hard time seeing it either way, but I'm always a fan of less processing just as a general principle. The Epson projector I have has HDR modes, and I think we're using HRD1. With the Oppo UPD-203 that seemed to give us the best picture. We had extremely bad banding issues with the cheap LG 4K player that I originally bought, so be weary of cheap players. I'll see if I can get Pirate to sign in and update anything that I have missed as far as the settings on our setup go.

EM3

Thanks SB and Taxi I am waiting on a credit card to get her so I can charge it and pay it off immediately. My bank card has a $500 daily limit and I dont really want to get it increased. My problem is the nearest store to me that might have the Panasonic is over 4 hours away one way. So I am stuck until my credit card comes in. I just dont feel like spending a whole day behind the wheel of my car. The Panasonic will also be capable of reading music on a drive I have that has almost 4TB on it and these are FLAC etc so thats cool.

Some movies I hope to get are Wonder Woman, Blade Runner Final Cut and Deadpool just to strat with. I never did see Dunkirk is it any good.

Sorry for all the questions

EM3

Sweet Jesus the card has been delayed and no idea when it will be here. Looks like plan B even though I will get it. Off to Best Buy to see if they have what I want. Wish me luck.

EM3

This is the one I got.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

I hooked it up last night only one glitch is that it kept over riding my cable box signal they were both going through the receiver. No biggie I just ran the cable box straight into the tv problem solved. It great picture looked great. My one caveate is that while all my music plays though the usb port into the dvd and out to the receiver I only get sound through the center channel. I am sure I will have to change that setting on the receiver when I want to listen to the music but again hey no big deal. I picked up Dracula and Blade Runeer the Final Cut on 4k. Dracula looked pretty good I thought. I didnt try Blade Runner.

Thanks for all your help.

ellisr63

I took the plunge plunge a couple of of years ago when we got our 65" 4k Samsung, and last year got a OPPO 203. We love it, and I look forward to getting a 4k projector next year.