1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UHD early adopters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EM3, Jun 16, 2017.

1. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Anyone in here an early adopter of UHD? I was looking for initial impressions and thoughts as well as likes and dislikes. My seating position is about 10ft away from the 60 inch set.

2. SilentBob

SilentBob EH??? Administrator

Well I guess that would be me. I'm using my Xbox One S as my player and my recently updated JVC X950 projector on my 106" screen. Not a true 4K projector but with 4K e-Shift. I have about 7 movie right now and have seen only 3 of them so far. I sit roughy 11-12 feet away and can say that yeah you can see a difference but not always a night and day difference I got from DVD to bluray. Although we are barely a year really into the format and can see improvements gradually happening to give that big WOW factor. Now I will say that I still need to download and import a proper BT2020 colour profile to my projector to get the full HDR effect (pain in the ass to figure out as one part works and the other doesn't) Anyways, I can still see a difference over the bluray in the colours being more pronounced and dramatic lighting having a more realistic look/intensity. They are brighter and some almost eye burning, but in a good way. The big area I see a big improvement is in the blacks being pretty damn black. Helps along with added colour to give the image a bit more pop to the image. Some of my purchases beforehand were for getting my 3D copy and/or in order to enjoy the Atmos/DTS:X that they didn't include with bluray copy. The big problem I have is the pricing for the discs, but again I hope they come down as it becomes a more adopted format

Wirehed likes this.
  3. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

Thanks SB I saw some discs here last night at Wal Mart for $24 and that was the UHD and Blu-ray versions. Unfortunately I cant do the new audio formats because I refuse to wall mount any more speakers even though the wife says she doesn't mind but I really hate going under the house and running wires. My ceiling are a drop style with interlocking tile so thats not good. Anyway I was more interested about the color and picture. I appreciate the input.

4. EM3

EM3 Well-Known Member

5. Wirehed

Wirehed NSFW Administrator Administrator

Nice!