• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Upcoming Concerts You Will Be Attending

brian

David Gilmour in Toronto. Chicago tickets sold out uncomfortably fast, but I won't let that get me down. There's still a good chance tickets could be made available, but rather than count on that/pay off scalpers, it's a fine excuse for me to see a new city. A lot of money to invest for one musician, but it's been nearly 10 years since Gilmour last had a mini tour in the US, so this could be my last opportunity.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
We all know you are coming up to meet me and not see some talentless hack like Gilmour. Being the end of March it will either be fucking cold or for some reason unbelievably warm. Plus where the concert is being held is right in the heart of the city for the tourist areas. CN Tower, Skydome (Roger's Centre) Ripley's Aquarium and tons of other Broadway show musicals if you are into them too. I went to go check on a ticket for myself and they are sold out :(

brian

Well Taxi, now is your chance! I've seen just about every musician I care about and not many would justify the price, but I feel fine with this.

Silentbob, more tickets/shows are being sold this Monday, so be ready to get a ticket.

brian

I got Gilmour tickets for Chicago so now it's unlikely I'll go to Toronto. This is ok. Toronto was looking expensive,

brian

Gilmour in Chicago was good. To be honest, I didn't care for half his setlist - lots of cuts from his new solo album and his post-Waters Floyd days. Waters' setlists tend to be better crowd pleasers, I think. You get some solo stuff in there, but it's a 90% classic Floyd set compared to Gilmour's. Regardless, holy hell, Gilmour sounds amazing live. At the Waters shows, I rarely missed Gilmour's guitar playing, but now I know his stand-ins don't compare. Damn. Also, the plus side to a 50% set I don't care for means I can sit and not feel like I'm missing much.

I saw Paul McCartney the other day. Last minute ticket purchase, and I was in the nosebleeds. I don't really care about Wings or McCartney's solo career. I went into this show cynical, as McCartney struck me as aloof and the last "new" recording I heard from him was the post-9/11 "Freedom" track - *blech*.

All that said, despite going into the show sick and cynical, I had a good time! McCartney is hell of charming. I could look past the warble in the man's voice, and that he relied heavily on his backing band's vocals to make a "full" sound and cover up what his vocal range couldn't hit. It was 3-hours without intermission of hearing some of the most memorable pop songs of the last 50 years performed by a former Beatle. And it was fun. McCartney seemed as engaged with the audience as a younger musician might that is trying to earn your attention. Impressive considering the man is over 70 and I doubt he really needs the money.

I have no other shows on the docket aside from Sigur Ros in September. They're playing a double set with just the core band.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
I want to see a concert soon. Been al out 2 years but god damn scalpels and stubb hub prices are terrible. I'm tempted to take a chance and spend $130 on a lawn spot to see a double billing of Florence and the Machine along with Of Monsters and Men. Love them both but $130 on a ticket that I might get rained on with is a chance I don't know if I'm willing to make. Plus that price is fucking steep. 5-6 years ago I saw a 5 hour concert for $20 with Giant Elf (meh) Climb the Summit (meh) Zappa Plays Zappa (cool) and some other band. All before seeing the guys I went to see mainly, Dream Theater and they were awesome.

raptors661

Northdakotian Peckerwood
The most I ever spent on a concert ticket was ACDC this February, and that was $70 (a belated christmas gift to my dad). Both times I saw NIN, tickets were around $50, and they put on one hell of a show, especially with the visuals. I saw Weird Al in 07 for $20, and he put on a 3 hour show. I really don't get why some record companies/managers think that $100+ for a ticket is a good idea. $60 is usually my limit. $130 for Florence and the Machine and Of Monsters and Men is outrageous.

brian

The most I ever spent on a concert ticket was ACDC this February, and that was $70 (a belated christmas gift to my dad). Both times I saw NIN, tickets were around $50, and they put on one hell of a show, especially with the visuals. I saw Weird Al in 07 for $20, and he put on a 3 hour show. I really don't get why some record companies/managers think that $100+ for a ticket is a good idea. $60 is usually my limit. $130 for Florence and the Machine and Of Monsters and Men is outrageous.
It's a good idea if they're able to sell out. A large act probably doesn't need to buy goodwill when the spectrum of their demographics reaches people willing to shell out $100+ on a show. If a scalper can get that much, why shouldn't the band/producers try to? (Purely capitalistic reason, I know! I don't want to pay a lot either.)

Regardless, I've paid $300 or more to do a meet/greet at the Beach Boys 50th anniversary (Mike Love thanked me, I couldn't tell if Brian Wilson was a wax stand-in or not because HE DID NOT MOVE) and I probably dumped a lot of money to have great seats for Roger Water's The Wall. Those days are behind me, disposable income is not what it used to be. No regrets though.

Though I did drop north of $100 for Gilmour, and $72 for nosebleeds to McCartney. Some people spend that much on a carton of cigarettes, I'm not going to beat myself up too much over spending on seeing and hearing a legend that may not come around again. Good memories last as long as you're able to hold onto them.

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
McCartney is playing here, opening our new stadium. Tickets start at $250 and go up to $4300.

Crazy.

I don't go to shows much anymore, but I do buy a lot of records.

brian

McCartney is playing here, opening our new stadium. Tickets start at $250 and go up to $4300.

Crazy.

I don't go to shows much anymore, but I do buy a lot of records.
Whoa. Shame when there aren't even "poor" middle-class tickets.

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
I was listening to a podcast about that the other day. (Planet Money maybe?) You can basically blame the scalpers for these ticket prices. If they artists don't charge this much, then the scalpers buy the tickets for cheap and sell them at these prices anyway. It's more of a defensive move by the artists.

Some artists are getting around this by reserving the first two rows, and then picking people randomly from the cheaper sections and moving them up front.

I miss the good old days when you could wait in line for hours and at least assure yourself a decent seat at the face value of the ticket.

Last edited:

raptors661

Northdakotian Peckerwood
I think they need to start personalizing tickets then. If you buy 2 tickets, you and the person going each get a ticket with their name on it. If a person needs to cancel, maybe a small fee.

Iguana Man

Scalpers can be removed easily. I may not have thought this through all the way (Bourbon!) but here's my take. 99% of ticket buyers pay by credit or debit card. When you show up, you show your card's last 4 to match the last 4 from the purchase card. Done deal.

brian

I was listening to a podcast about that the other day. (Planet Money maybe?) You can basically blame the scalpers for these ticket prices. If they artists don't charge this much, then the scalpers buy the tickets for cheap and sell them at these prices anyway. It's more of a defensive move by the artists.

Some artists are getting around this by reserving the first two rows, and then picking people randomly from the cheaper sections and moving them up front.

I miss the good old days when you could wait in line for hours and at least assure yourself a decent seat at the face value of the ticket.
My workaround has been trying to catch shows in less-populated markets. There was a Neutral Milk Hotel reunion a few years back, and the Chicago show sold out in the first second. It was insane. Of course all the tickets went to scalpers.

Columbia, Missouri? Plenty of tickets available. 1 Greyhound bus later and I'm in Missouri. Admittedly it's not practical but it's a good excuse to take a trip and way to catch a show. If you're a superfan, anyways.

The older I get, the less musicians there are on my "must see" list.

brian

Scalpers can be removed easily. I may not have thought this through all the way (Bourbon!) but here's my take. 99% of ticket buyers pay by credit or debit card. When you show up, you show your card's last 4 to match the last 4 from the purchase card. Done deal.
I'm fine with this if the venue has a buyback policy. Otherwise, hey, if you can't make it to a show, it would kind of suck if you couldn't resell to someone else at face value or give it to a friend.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Trying to see The Tragically Hip for my next concert in August. Don't know if are that well known stateside but they are one if not the biggest Canadian Bands that people still love. This is sadly a farewell Canadian tour as the lead sing Gord Downie announced he is battling a very aggressive Terminal Brain Cancer. :( They placed some advance tickets forsale on Tuesday and sold out and all showed up on StubHub for sometimes a thousand plus dollars. The government is looking into what happened but more go on sale Friday. So wish me luck and if you can, see him before he goes too.