1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Looking At? (DVD/Blu-ray Edition)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pirate, Sep 6, 2008.

1. SilentBob

SilentBob EH??? Administrator

The Lego Batman Movie :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:
    PQ: 5/5
    3D: 3.75/5
    AQ: 4/5

A fun movie that enjoyed making fun of itself and the many forms Batman has taken over his many years. Some great laughs but also has a few moments where the story kind of lags/lacks the high energy set from the beginning of the film. The 3D was pretty good but at times wish the could of pushed the boundaries with the action a bit, same with the first Lego Movie. Would of been great if the old fashion 60's Bam! Whap! and various other sound bubbles came flying at you out of the screen. The audio was overall good, but wish it had a bit more bass and a proper Atmos track Warned Bros. Still loved them mouthing off all the guns shots with the pew!pew!pew! So a recommend from me

2. SilentBob

PASSENGERS :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:
    PQ:5/5
    3D:4/5
    AQ:4.5/5

Well I think I kept my expectations sort of low with the overall reviews it received and found myself enjoying the film in the end. I found it close to be in the same vein as I Am Legend with the thought of isolation, no contact from any human beings even when they surround you. Which played well in that movie because you saw Shrek playing in the background and played on the that tale, until he meets someone. Anyways I won't spoil anything but sort of wish the ending stuck to a different route. The audio was overall good with the Neural X helping provide a close too Atmos like sound that the UHD disc once again gets, but not us 3D viewers. Plus the 3D I didn't think was that bad either. Great use of depth with interior shots and especially when venturing into outer depths of space. Didn't really notice and popouts but I was fine with that, and would recommend the movie overall as a Rental or a very cheap purchase down the road.

3. SilentBob

INFERNO 4K:star::star::nostar::nostar::nostar:
    PQ: 4.75/5
    AQ(Atmos): 4.75/5

Well this was easily the weakest of the Dan Brown films. This thing moves at a snails pace and didn't have the exciting puzzle problem solving excitement like the first two films did. It contains them, but they don't really hit that bit of energy until the last 30-40 minutes of the movie. Plus I kind of saw where it was going early on with the baddies intent/planning of said events leading to the epic finale. Overall though the 4K UHD presentation is just shy of reference quality in both audio and video. The city flybys look absolutely stunning, plus the fiery visions of Dantes Hell look amazingly bright and disgustingly clear. The reds come just shy of making your eyes bleed with their intensity in brightness/colour saturation. Plus the UHD disc provides a Dolby Atmos track which is lacking on the Blu-ray Disc. The sound is great with some wonderful overhead flybys of drones, helicopters and birds. I just found the music lacking the intensity that the last 2 movies provided. So I say skip it

4. Iguana Man

Iguana Man Well-Known Member Moderator

I enjoyed this a lot.

5. SilentBob

SOUND CITY :star::star::star::star::halfstar:
    PQ: 4.5/5
    AQ: 4.5/5

Man anything Dave Grohl wants to do music wise, let the man do his thing. Loved the history of this place and him getting the artists and former workers to talk about the ups, downs and misgivings through the years. This man loves music and I love his passion that you see here and in his awesome Sonic Highways series he did. The picture quality was overall pretty good but you do have the archive footage that doesn't hold up to today's standards but great to have. The audio was also overall good but needed to crank it a bit for the speaking parts and slightly down when the fantastic music kicked in. I just wish they had footage for all the tracks that were made for its soundtrack. We get some for the film and some as extras, but not all of them. As they are a blast to watch in how the idea is formed and how it evolves from simply rifting back and forth and to adding something to the track when you think they were done. It is a must see:beerchug:

raptors661 likes this.
  6. SilentBob

KONG: SKULL ISLAND 2D/3D:star::star::star::nostar::nostar:
    3D: 4.5/5
    AQ (2D Atmos): 5/5
    AQ (3D DTS:HDMA): 4/5

Yeah I watched it twice and overall I did enjoy it better the 2nd time around much better than my first viewing. I watched in 2D first with my friend (gets headaches from 3D viewings) on Wednesday and then I watched it in 3D tonight with my cousins husband. I found the added depth and draw distance really helped establish just how big of a threat the world and the creatures there really are. Good scene to show that off was with a spider in a bamboo forest. Still I overall felt a slight bit disappointed with the film because I didn't connected with our heroes too much. It is a B movie and at times it knows it cause you got Sam Jackson slowly going crazy and sputtering out one liners. Some from past monster movies he has done (Jurassic Park and Deep Blue Sea) Plus at times the CGI I found nice and realistic and then showed a slightly more obvious cartoony look with Kong. I wish they made hi. More realistic through and through, but maybe that will change when he meets Godzilla in a few years (plus we do learn he is still growing) Anyways the picture quality was overall good with a slight soft look to establish that 70's time era, but thought it looked sharper with the 3D. Which was a nice presentation but wish we had a little more fun with some in your face objects. Now the audio side is good too simply amazing, but we get screwed on that amazing Atmos track on the 3D disc. The Atmos track which is on the 2D disc is simply stunning right from the opening credits and them ceiling speakers never seemed to take a moment off throughout the entire film. It is simply a demo disc waiting to be shown off to family and friends. Now the 3D disc is still a good sounding movie but even with Neaural:X added to the 5.1 DTS track it couldn't replicate the discrete, and pinpoint accuracy that the Atmos track provided. Plus the LFE didn't seem to have the same oomph to the many monster battles. Overall a fun monster movie rental which is better seen in 3D. Also stay/skip to the end of the credits for a nice bonus scene

7. SilentBob

POMPEII 3D :star::nostar::nostar::nostar::nostar:
    3D: 4.25/5
    AQ: 5/5

This, this was a pretty bad movie. Dialog was bad, acting sort of hammy and the story was just trying its best at being a Titanic love story out of truly nothing. The 3D was overall good but then flat at times. Some cool floating out of the screen particle effects and at times good draw distance with destruction raining down on the city, but I guess I expected maybe a bit more. At least the audio was pretty strong with very active surrounds, and strong bass action with the volcano slowly coming out of its slumber. Still, stay the hell away from this film. Thank god I only paid $6 for it

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  8. SilentBob

FREE FIRE :star::star::star::nostar::nostar:
    PQ: 4/5

I guess I was expecting more overall for this film. Once again the trailer sold me for a balls to wall action movie, but it isn't. We get a great cast and we get a few moments of great back and forth banter moments, but comes off a bit hollow overall. (Even for its 90 minute runtime) the video was overall good with a stylized softish look. The sound was good too with some good front to back, side to side gunshots ringing out. The Neural X I played on top of the DTS HDMA track added some great in the room feel with the bullets seeming to zip by overhead. I just wonder what a real Atmos or DTS X would of done for the film (although it was a low budget film overall and maybe reason for plain DTS HDMA track) overall a fun rental but nothing more

9. SilentBob

BOSS BABY :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:
    3D: 5/5

Well I liked and had a few more belly laughs than I was expecting for kids film. Liked the blend of the 3D with some 2D like elements throughout the film. The 3D is very impressive with some tremendous depth from simple camera angles looking from an above ceiling view onto a room. Too some very fun 3D pop scenes like the darts from a dart gun being fired to baby drool dropping into your eyes. The audio served the movie well, but seemed to lack something to elevate the action. Would of had some fun Atmos scenes if that was included with the bluray (only on the UHD disc) So fun for adults and especially for kids.

10. SilentBob

KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD 2.5/5
    3D: 4.5/5

I wanted to like this movie but my gawd it is a mess of a film. It was more style than substance, but I did like some of their take on the mythology. Especially love the taking of the sword from the stone. Anyways the 3D presentation was an overall impressive outing, with the occasional medium to strong pop out scenes included. With many instances of small debris or ambers floating out towards the audience. The audio was good but expected more, and I wonder how much the 2D Atmos track would of improved of action itself. So a good 3D disc but barely worth a rental really

11. SilentBob

THE GREAT WALL :star::star::star::nostar::nostar: (3D U.K. Import)
    PQ:5/5
    3D:4.25/5
    AQ(Atmos):4.5/5

Always heard mixed things about the movie and of Matt Damon's accent, but happy to say I liked the movie but agree on the accent. This was a typical summer blockbuster action movie, just getting released at the wrong time. Sure the plot may be a bit thin, CGI a little weak and acting so-so at times, but that's a typical popcorn action movie. The overall picture quality is stunning with the 3D delivering some fun moments here and there, with nice draw distance too. The Atmos track was good but I have heard better with other films. So overall I say it's was worth importing (if you're a fan of 3D) Or a simple rental if you like action movies

12. SilentBob

GUARDIANS OF THE GALXY VOL. 2 :star::star::star::star::nostar:
    3D: 5/5
    AQ: 4.75/5

Still didn't like it more than the first movie. I found too many little moments of humour a little forced and not natural like the first. Still has the loveable charm and great character moments for everyone on screen. Picture quality is stunning and has the 3D to go along with it. Never saw it in IMAX but they must of felt spoiled with the transitions from scope to full out IMAX screen fill, with occasional cool black bar breaking. The sound was also good to amazing, but I might of spoiled myself by watching some of the final battle with my 4K disc with Atmos. The asking for tape was great in that you heard Quill flying above jumping from speaker to speaker asking away. Still had some great sub action and panning from front to back and side to side. Too bad Disney is limiting the 3D here to the steelbook only.

RATCHET AND CLANK :star::star::star::nostar::nostar:
    PQ: 4.75/5
    AQ: 4.5/5

I became a huge fan of the game series when I bought my PS3 system and always thought it would make a great movie for kids and adults. Well it sort of was, but it is missing the heart that makes these characters so loveable and enjoyable. You aren't in control of the heroes anymore. You aren't helping drive the great narrative action of battling on multiple planets, while using some weird ass weapons. I just couldn't separate myself and maybe knocked down my enjoyment level for the film. So it plays off as a kiddies version (with adult moments)Star Wars A New Hope. It looks great on disc but the lip sync I wish were a bit tighter on some characters, while spot on on others. (Plus I wish we got the 3D release here as well) The audio is pretty strong as well with some great panning moments and occasional deep bass moments. So gaming fans might be disappointed but might be worth streaming when free.