• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What Are You Looking At? (DVD/Blu-ray Edition)

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
POWER RANGERS 4K :star::halfstar::nostar::nostar::nostar:
AQ: 4.25/5
PQ: 4.5/5

It tried too hard being a movie about struggling teen angst/friendship and not much was spent on them being Power Rangers. You know your Power Rangers history, just give me over the top goofy fun action. Bryan Cranston plays Zordon who was once the Red leader of the Power Rangers back in the time of Dinosaurs with other alien beings. Rita was the original Green Ranger that has gone mad with power and now she’s back. Basic plot and not much else to say. The Dolby Atmos had some moments of greatness and yet I felt a bit disappointed that we didn’t get more of those moments. Picture Quality was overall sharp and colourful in the end but a bit dark for my likings at times. So good disc, bad flick. Even from a former fan of the Power Ranger tv series

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
BABY DRIVER 4K :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:
AQ: 4.5/5

Not my favourite Wright film, but still better then a lot of the crap out there. The guy knows how to direct his action scenes and there’s are some beauties in here. The 4K presentation I thought was overall nice and clean looking with some nicely added details in the faces of our actors. The audio quality of the Atmos track was stunning during our moments of music and action and pretty nice in the quieter moments too. Although I miss the over saturated subwoofer action I expect from my Wright films, but he kept this film pretty grounded. I recommend seeing it

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE 4K :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:

I’m a big fan of the first movie and looked forward to seeing the sequel. Sadly it doesn’t live up to its predecessor. The plot I didn’t mind as a whole for the overall evil intent. It’s just bloated with what I thought were moments of filler that went no where or were not entertaining. The action is cool but less than I thought we would get, but nothing reaching the heights of the amazing church scene from the first movie. Who does steal the show for the little moments they are in the film is Elton John, and has a few awesome one liners. Video quality is pretty great but a little saturated in warm colours at times, and again a pretty solid Atmos track too. Wish a bit more overhead sound was provided but it’s still pretty solid sound wise. Still there is talk of a third film and here’s hoping they get a tighter script and still provide the hyper kinetic action I love.

Ok I actually watched it a 2nd time cause my mother loved the first and wanted to see this as well. I found myself enjoying the film a lot more the 2nd time around. I was able to shut the mind off and let it do its thing. Still has flaws when compared to the first but again, better upon 2nd viewing

Last edited:

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
THE LEGO NINJAGO MOVIE 3D:star::star::star::nostar::nostar:
PQ: 5/5
3D: 4.5/5

It was an ok movie, with a few good laugh here and there. It wasn’t anything special or amazing but it was just entertaining enough. Loved what the “ultimate weapon” in the wrong hands brought forth. Probably the most entertaining moment of the movie and the shooting of the sharks “Yum!Yum!Yum!Yum!” PQ is a given for being pretty much perfect being a computer generated movie. The DTS-HDMA track was pretty good with some impressive panning and sub action. Too bad WB once again opts to leave the Atmos track with the 2D discs and. It with the 3D disc. The overall 3D presentation was impressive but this is pretty much all due to the depth perception given. Although we do get a cool moment when we discover our elemental powers and have them breaking the frame of the picture. So rental overall but kids should get some enjoyment out of it.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
BATMAN: RETURN OF THE CAPED CRUSADER
:star::star::star::nostar::nostar:

PQ: 4/5
AQ: 3/5

Well it plays out as you would expect. Adam West and Burt Ward sounding kinda old for the role, but in classic 60’s tv form. The premise is hammy, many easy jump to conclusions old chums, and classic sound effect lettering over cartoonish fight scenes. Plus they don’t skip on the ridiculous utility belt weapons and sprays/counter sprays(sorry no shark repelling spray here) It was a classic episode but I think they drew it out maybe a bit long with an extra plot or two, although fun, disjointed the story a bit. The animation style I liked, but could see some colour banding in some scenes as well. Just like the old show the overall sound was pretty mono in nature, with the sub acting lightly in a few rocket blast scenes here and there. So a rental overall from me, but a must own for fans of the old show.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
CHAPPIE :star::star::star::nostar::nostar:

Not a great movie but I did find myself enjoying it just enough to say rent it. It is pretty much the adult version of Short Circuit while copying the plot (sort of) of District 9. Video and audio were were good but wonder what the new Atmos track on the 4K release would of sounded like.

LIFE 4K :star::star::nostar::nostar::nostar:
PQ: 4.75/5

It had its moments of some jumps but not enough to warrant me to recommend the movie. It is a pretty solid looking film and pretty good Atmos track to go along with it. Just thought the plot was ho-hum trying to be an Alien ripoff with no real Hero to cheer on (or cat) Wished the rumours that circled the net beforehand would of been true but sadly this wasn’t a setup for the Venom movie.

Also upgraded my Kingsman 2 score to a 3 1/2 out of 5 upon a 2nd viewing of the film. Still has flaws but found it as a mindless fun movie when viewing it again.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:
3D: 4/5

Well overall I enjoyed this film and was a nice conclusion to the series, but I also gotta admit that it dragged a tiny bit in the middle too. If this movie loses the Oscar for Best CGI then they are smoking crack. These have always been stunning the first time I saw them but my gawd what they have done in a few short years is truly remarkable. The picture quality was stunning and wonder how much the 4k would of improved on an already great presentation. Same can be said for the DTS-HDMA track which was great but wonder what discrete effects the Atmos track would of brought to the mix (although the Neaural X did a pretty good job) As for the 3D I thought it was a nice improvement over the last one with better separation and depth added to the feature. Really added a nice texture depth to the Apes from their fur and wrinkles in the faces. Nothing pops out of the screen at the audience but again I appreciated the added atmospheric depth provided.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
BATMAN: GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:
PQ: 4/5
AQ: 4/5

Well I still had a gift card from Xmas and decided to pick this up, and I’m glad I did. Cool take on Gotham with the Jack the Ripper storyline sewn into our story. Nice use of familiar characters to keep it grounded in that Batman lore. The voice acting I thought was great, but the animation sync is still a bit off (like I find for most of these WB animated movies) The City has a very London (well duh) feel and really brought some warm and fuzzies with the old Batman The Animated series. Flying Patrol blimps and dreary atmospheric settings. I had never read the one off series this was taken from but I liked even if I kind of sort of saw what was to come in the end. The audio wasn’t amazing but it wasn’t a complete slouch either. Some good use of atmospheric sounds and panning with carriages and Batman zingy back and forth with his steampunk Gatling gun. So here’s hoping Warner Bros decides to do more of these one off different settings in the future, cause it’s a nice change. Also this was Rated R but is barely a pg-13. See more blood and gore in the 8 minute new Suicide Squad animated then in this entire flick.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
I have never heard of that website but I might just give it a go. Thanks and will post my account info soon, but it’s like 1:30 am now. So maybe tomorrow after I hopefully watch my Three Billboards bluray copy (no 4k release in Canada)

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
COCO :star::star::star::star::nostar:

Well I was torn about watching my copy last night. Best Buy released a very nice looking steelbook but the Canadian site listed it as 3D. It was not, and didn’t know if I shouldn’t return it and at least get the 4K version or wait a few months and get a 3D UK import. (Which I might still do) Anyways I’m glad I watched but it was hard not comparing it to The Book of Life that came out a few years beforehand. I guess you can’t really mess a cultures belief from one movie to another. The animation just keeps getting better and better from Pixar, and could see where the 3D would of amped up the world immersion even more. It was also a little more of a mature film from Pixar with only a few moments of laughter, but still enjoyable. The audio which is a 7.1 DTS-HDMA track is presented a bit lower then most movies and tends to be a trend from Disney releases lately. Had to turn the volume up almost 10 notches higher then normal, but was fine from there. Not much in the way for sub action but didn’t really show a need for it. Only have seen 2 of the animated best picture nods, but this seemed deserving of a win in my books. Came close to tears, I won’t lie.

Oh and I got the app Max and can find me as SilentB0b (the 0 is a zero)

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
THOR: RAGNAROK 3D UK IMPORT :star::star::star::star::nostar:
3D: 4.75/5
AQ: 4.75/5

Damn you Disney and forcing me to buy from overseas to enjoy my 3D flicks. Probably the best of the 3 Thor flicks they have made with a new fun/funny kinetic energy to it. Plus it doesn’t hurt that they incorporated some of Planet Hulk story into this as well. So I won’t say much else about the plot other than that. The 3D was pretty amazing with it also being the only way to watch the film in its theatrical 2.40:1 scope ratio along with the open formatted IMAX scenes included as well. Wish for maybe a bit more pop out moment soon but overall great depth and openness added to the alien worlds. The PQ was also fantastic with some colour added in that to again this alien battle arena world from the Grandmaster. Audio was overall great as well with tons of surround sound usage that made everything feel very immersive BUT they did whimp out on the subwoofer power. It thuds when it should be a THUMP! Plus like the recent Coco release I had to up my volume at least 10 notches higher then usual to get the sound level I’m use too. Once I found it I never had to lower or increase to keep family happy during their viewing. So an easy recommend from me, and only got better upon my 2nd viewing too

Last edited:

EM3

THOR: RAGNAROK 3D UK IMPORT :star::star::star::star::nostar:

Damn you Disney and forcing me to buy from overseas to enjoy my 3D flicks. Probably the best of the 3 Thor flicks they have made with a new fun/funny kinetic energy to it. Plus it doesn’t hurt that they incorporated some of Planet Hulk story into this as well. So I won’t say much else about the plot other than that. The 3D was pretty amazing with it also being the only way to watch the film in its theatrical 2.40:1 scope ratio along with the open formatted IMAX scenes included as well. Wish for maybe a bit more pop out moment soon but overall great depth and openness added to the alien worlds. The PQ was also fantastic with some colour added in that to again this alien battle arena world from the Grandmaster. Audio was overall great as well with tons of surround sound usage that made everything feel very immersive BUT they did whimp out on the subwoofer power. It thuds when it should be a THUMP! Plus like the recent Coco release I had to up my volume at least 10 notches higher then usual to get the sound level I’m use too. Once I found it I never had to lower or increase to keep family happy during their viewing. So an easy recommend from me, and only got better upon my 2nd viewing too
Thanks for the write up. I picked up the non 3D version this weekend and I have yet to watch it. Nice to know about the sub and how much oonph it has or doesnt have. I always freak out when I think the sub isn't working.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
THE SHAPE OF WATER 4K :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:

It was good but not what I would not of considered this a Best Picture winner. It had whimsy, charm and humour with classic Del Toro Brothers Grimm like fairytale darkness. Yet, some of the elements seem a bit choppy storytelling wise to me. The picture quality was overall good with some great use of shadows detail and hdr goodness and yet I have also seen better from other movies. The movie is a mostly dialog driven movie but it was weird not having the higher sound format treatment for a 4K release. Would of benefitted nicely with the added Atmos height discrete sounds (although the receiver did a pretty good job with Neaural X in some key scenes with rain elements present) Maybe I was expecting more and reason for my mehness towards the film. Maybe a 2nd viewing will help change my opinion, but for now It ain’t what I would consider, again Best Picture of 2017

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
PADDINGTON 2 (4K UK Import):star::star::star::star::halfstar:

I’m a 35 year man and l love these movies :) These movies are just filled with loving /charming characters that you can’t help but fall in love with. . . .even if some of them were bad guys. The real shame is that this movie didn’t get much box office attention in North America and with that it isn’t getting a 4K release. I own a handful of 4K films and I would easily put this in my Top 3 (if not, the top) The Dolby Atmos track was good but didn’t think the overheads were used to their fullest. Still had some great moments like the 2 chase scenes and a cool moments when Paddington starts thinking of his old home with Aunt Lucy. So overall I highly recommend this disc for importing.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
JUSTICE LEAGUE 4K :star::star::star::nostar::nostar:
PQ: 4.25/5

Is it a mess? Sure is. The CGI look rushed from reshoots? Yep! Was I entertained in some way. I somehow was and I think Whedon is to thank partially for that. . . . and Danny Elfman for bringing back the classic Burton era Batman theme. Cyborg I thought looked bad cgi wise in the trailer and I actually thoroughly enjoyed the character in the movie. The Flash is a bit different then I remember but had some new things that I enjoyed as well. (Costume needs work) They made Superman's suit a more traditional looking one with a brighter blue and red profile. The 4k video was nice but man does it ever reveal some truly bad cgi work in overall look and physics of the character interaction within it. The audio was good but expected more from the added height interaction and maybe a bit more surround action. Overall I expected a huge mess but came out with a smile on my face in the end. Stay for the credits for a few bonus clips. Will update review with a 3D score soon too

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
AMERICAN MADE 4K :star::star::star::star::nostar:
PQ: 4/5*

Love or hate him, Tom Cruise can play a fun character. Reminded me a lot of the movie Lord of War except the guns are replaced with a shit ton of coke. . . . .ok, some AK-47s too. It seems so ridiculous on what they did back then but most of it actually happened. Watched the 4K disc, not a sharp looking picture (but on purpose) but the colours sure do pop. Plus the DTS:X soundtrack was nice and active with a lot of flyby action taking place. Give this movie a watch

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS :star::star::star::star::nostar:
PQ: 4.25/5

Hmmm creepy hungry mushroom heads and a mixed breed of them as potentially harmful kids = some weird ass shit. Ok I thought the movie for a good portion worked very well, but sort of lost a bit of that creepy vibe near the end. The lead kid was great and expect to see more of her in future films, and the sound amps up the fear factor nicely when needed. Picture quality was good but a bit soft at times, but that might be to mask some cgi for these ruined overrun cities. So gives this a go some night people

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING :star::star::star::nostar::nostar:
3D: 4.5/5

Well is doesn’t match the original, but it’s passable. The movie was pretty much what you would expect with giant monsters and robots. Who cares about the humans and their story, lets just get to the fighting. Now I do admit that I wish the animation of these creatures were slowed down a bit. They seemed a bit fast for their size and Del Toro’s at least felt like you were watching giant lumbering creatures towering over the minuscule beings running for their lives. The 3D wasn’t as good as the first but it was pretty damn close in overall depth and separation. The audio just seemed to get better as the movie went on, as the Atmos overheads really started to ramp up and kick into high gear. You can hear them fighting above you and when inside the the cockpit. You can hear hissing, sparks and system computer parts all around/above you. So I recommend as a rental but an easy purchase for 3D buyers

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
FINAL DESTINATION 5 :star::star::star::nostar::nostar:

These are guilty pleasure movies of mine. This was good but nothing will ever top the 2nd movie for me in the creativity of some of the death scenes. The audio was good and the added Neural X to the track works pretty nicely for the big opening. The 3D was overall very impressive, I guess being natively shot in the format helps too. Just a big of ghosting observed on my set in a few darkey scenes with flicker lights on objects. Still those pop out where great and right in your face. . .along with going threw theirs. A must purchase for 3D enthusiasts

CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS 4K :star::star::star::nostar::nostar:

What the hell am I doing watching this movie. Well, my nieces are are going to Boston for a trip tomorrow and need something to watch for the 8+ hours in the car. My sister and husband have had nothing but a diet of Trolls, Frozen and Sing for the past year of family viewing. So my mom and I watched it to make sure that it would be ok for them and not have any scary like moments for them (one of them is just over 3) From my take they should be fine, and hopefully don’t pick up on the many upon many farts sounds used throughout the film. It also had plenty of heart too and again should be good fun for them. The video quality like almost any CGI film looked flawless but was the 4K that much better than the bluray? Don’t know cause I haven’t compared them, but from past animated movies I have seen. It does seem like the colours got a little bit of a boost in that department. The audio was nice and clear, with some bass action. Although I didn’t think they utilized the height speakers to their fullest. So got kids, plunk their asses in front of the screen and let them enjoy.

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
BLOCKERS :star::star::halfstar::nostar::nostar:
PQ: 4.75/5
AQ: 3.25/5

Loved the trailer when they had this going into theatres and again it got me to purchase this movie. Thankfully it wasn’t an expensive movie but still was hoping for better in the laugh department. Don’t get me wrong because it does have 2-3 great WTF belly laughs but they are few and far between. Overall the PQ is pretty top notch but noticed a little black crush near the end of the film, and the audio was nothing to write home about. Mostly front loaded with dialogue and the occasional surround use with party music being played out. Some might enjoy it more then me, but I would wait and stream it if you want to view the film.