• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What Are You Watching (Music On DVD's/Blu-ray's)

Starting a thread dedicated to music related DVD's (Concerts, Documentaries, Music Video Compilations, Musicals, etc...)

Anyways...

Some Kind Of Monster :star::star::star::star::halfstar:

Great documentary. Never get tired of watching it. And I get great pleasure when they sack Phil the Life Coach. What a leech.

U2 - Elevation Tour 2001 - Live From Boston :star::star::star::star::star:

I always get a kick out of cranking this one up LOUD. The production and set list is stellar, and IMO the best of all their concert releases.

Motley Crue - Carnival Of Sins :star::star::star::star::halfstar:

Bar none, the best sounding concert DVD ever. This is as close to replicating what a concert does sound like live. Loses half a star due to Tommy's "drum solo". Flying around from kit to kit, just weird. And the drumming during his solo...meh. Would have been much cooler to incorporate his spinning drum riser from the Dr Feelgood tour into COS. Oh well.

My neighbors are complaining about the excessive noise. The bass is rattling the street lamp half a block away. :D

Queen - Live At Wembley :star::star::star::star::star:

Of all the Queen Concert DVD's, this is my favorite. I just wish I could have been there live. The DTS audio is sweeeeeeeeet. Playin' it LOUD as always. :beerchug: Great set list. Hit song after fucking hit song. And Freddie, best fucking singer and showman...ever. That boy has got some pipes.

Glitch report: I've had this DVD for about 6-7 years, and every time I've played this, at the same exact spot during Brian May's Brighton Rock Solo there's a major pause and then a skip of about 20 seconds into the next song. The disc is clean and no scratches to be found. Is this a common problem for anyone else that has this? A printing error perhaps? (Yes, I returned it back to the store and traded it for another copy and got the same problem). Just curious if it was just a small batch or if every copy is like this.

INXS - Live Baby Live - Wembley Stadium 1991 :star::star::star::star::nostar:

Good concert with solid DTS audio track. But not the best concert I've seen from them. I think the Elegantly Wasted tour was much better, performance wise, when they played some clubs. Need to find the bootleg I have of that tour and watch again. But have no idea where it's at at the moment. :confused::headslap:

Mac

RUSH - Retrospective III :star::star::star::nostar::nostar:

Love RUSH past and present for a variety of reasons and will review their last couple of live DVD's. This DVD contains music videos which I have long outgrown. I've never seen these before and quite frankly didn't know RUSH actually made video's except for jacking around on their live gigs. Anyway, it was uh, interesting, but still somewhat boring to watch. So I will probably putting this in just for the audio in the future. The track listing is different than the CD set.

Mac

Kansas - Device, Voice, Drum :star::star::star::star::halfstar:
I've actually had this concert for quite some time and watch it on occasion. Great set list of their hits and the audio is full and clear. You can hear each instrument perfectly. The stage is intimate. Small crowd and faded to black so you can concentrate on the concert. The boys have never really been a visual band in the sense of theatrics or showmanship. It's all about the music and these guys are excellent. Steve Walsh sounds great. Kerry Livgren isn't really missed here. Dust In The Wind, the stage changes, with lit candles and string quartet added. Very nice. One complaint, Miracles Out Of Nowhere has a middle piece that slowly builds and the throw in an anamatronic CGI piece. One of the many times I really wanted to see them play and they throw on a video. That is my only complaint. This concert set the standard in quality for me.

Mac

Tears For Fears - Scenes from the Big Chair :star::star::star::star::nostar:

Eventually you'll see how important the voice is for me in terms of sound and Roland Orbazal and Curt Smith are at their peak. I find myself leaning towards those voices that are strong and forceful. Despite this coming from their 1990 tour, the video and audio are clean and professional. Except where on occasion they get artsy fartsy with the film. All the hits are here and the band is fun to watch. I am extremely pleased that Oleta Adams on piano and vocals, especially for Women In Chains. Tight, Tight band. Highly recommend.

KISS - Live In Las Vegas :star::nostar::nostar::nostar::nostar:

I havent watched this since the day I bought it when it first came out, and for good reason. Totally forgot why this morning when I popped it in. This is bad.

First off, the "concert" is 4 songs. That's it.

Second, I HATE when the editor/director (some guy in the truck with all the monitor feeds) decides that he is just going to continually and randomly cut from bandmate to bandmate for the sake of doing it. What we end up getting is a headache and no sense of an actual concert experience.

Third, KISS isn't even playing it live. For a band that made it's reputation as a LIVE band, this is about as low as they could go, playing to canned music. They would of course go even lower a few years later when they replaced Peter and Ace with Eric and Tommy with their makeup. But that's another story.

Gets 1 star for the explosions, since that's the only thing that was LIVE.

Tears For Fears has some amazing songs. When I'm working, they usually find their way into my music cue. Need to pick up Scenes From The Big Chair. Thanks for the heads up.

Sammy Hagar & The Waboritas - Cabo Wabo Birthday Bash Tour :star::star::star::star::halfstar:

Currently I'm on a Sammy kick with the hype building for Chickenfoot and thought it would be a nice time to bust this one out again.

The Concert and DVD is pure fun all around. Who wouldn't want to go on tour with the Red Rocker? Fun times, and great show. :beerchug:

You can't go wrong with a DVD that starts off on how to make a margarita. Bikini-clad waitresses that constantly bring out drinks.

Great set list and of course a kick ass DTS audio track:beerchug:

Mac

Asia - Fantasia: Live in Tokyo :star::star::star::star::nostar:

I loved Asia's premiere release, but as time went on I faded from fandom for them. I am quite pleased with the set list (despite not playing one of my fav's "Go"). And for some, Asia members playing some of their respective past hits is bothersome, I found it refreshing. Seeing Court of Crimson King was a great surprise.

If I was to nitpick on a negative, I would say drum solo's are boring to watch, even if it's by one of the world's great drummers. And I guess Steve's Howe guitar work is really not prominent. What I mean is he is the virtuoso that he's known for, the audio track just is not up front to enjoy. And now in hindsight, neither is the drumming. Mostly the Bass and Keyboards really stand out. Hmmmmmm.

Also, Geoffrey Downes does not need to dress like a rock star. He just looked silly. Also, I would have liked him facing the audience. I just thought it weird that he was a good portion of the time, with his back to the crowd (because the layout of the keyboards).

Otherwise the camera work was great and the audio subperb. John Wetton's vocals are just amazing.

Brian Wilson Presents Smile

Documentary :star::star::star::star::nostar:

A solid doc about the history and construction of Smile and touches on some of the Beach Boys history. I prefer another doc, The Beach Boys - Endless Harmony, that's dedicated soley to that of the Beach Boys.

Concert :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:

When I picked up the DVD when it first came out, I really thought it was some of the most creative things I had heard in a long while. Still holds up in parts, while other parts doesn't hold up.

It's funny how people slam Axl for taking 15 years to make and complete Chinese Democracy, when Smile took Brian 30 years to finish.

Mac

POCO - Crazy Love :star::star::star::star::nostar:
Ok, I'm not a huge fan of Poco, but they have a number of songs I really love to listen to and they're performed here, such as Call It Love, Crazy Love, Keep On Try'n and Rose of Cimarron. It's just a very intimate opera house like setting. Nothing real exciting. Just Poco performing their hits. Video is clean and crisp and the Audio is decent.

Mac

Loggins and Messina Live - Sittin' in Again at Santa Barbara Bowl :star::star::star::star::star:

I have loved Loggins & Messina from their first record. I'm still waiting for their second live album to be released on CD. This is a great show. Tight band and the boys look like they are having fun. Man, this brings back memories. The concert takes place outdoors and starts in the daylight hour and ends in the evening, bringing a very subtle transition to the events. Great selection of songs, with the respective signature sounds of sax and violins 87). Again, highly recommend if this is your genre of music.

Mac

The Eagles - Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne (2005) :star::star::star::star::star:
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (1994) :star::star::star::star::star:

Ah hell, Might as well continue in this pseudo country vein. I like these guys despite the surprising biography from Don Felder (Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001)

I first saw Hell Freezes Over in a high end Audio/Video. It starts off with Hotel California with some wicked guitar work from Felder, and when the bass drum kicks in, it rattled the walls. That was the defining moment for me to start to upgrade my system. The rest of the show is top notch. Camera work is outstanding. Audio as stated before is excellent.

Farewell tour just continues in the same tradition. Quality product all around. It has a little more Joe Walsh, which pleased me a great deal.

The Concert For New York City :star::star::star::star::nostar:

This was a great concert pretty much from top to bottom. Yes, there are some people (Jay Z) who just stuck out like a sore thumb and seemed out of their element. This set is worth it just for The Who alone, clearly the best performance of the night.

Audio is solid.

My only complaint is that this isn't the show that aired. I much prefer what I had taped with all the fuck ups and glitch problems as it was live on air. Those are moments I want to see. I don't necessarily want a "clean up" for DVD releases. I want it untouched. (I'm talking to you Live Aid).

This concert did make me feel good again a month after 9/11. I needed something to take my mind off of what had happened. I play this at least once a year.

Personal Fave Performances:

David Bowie
Billy Crystal
(Is there anything this guy can't host? Best ever.)
Bon Jovi
Billy Joel
Destiny's Child
Eric Clapton/Buddy Guy
Adam Sandler
The Who
James Taylor
John Mellencamp/Kid Rock
Five For Fighting
Elton John
Paul McCartney
(Would have been nice to hear Hey Jude. Oh well)

Mac

Chris Rea – Farewell Tour :star::star::star::star::halfstar:

Well, let me start off by sayin I’m biased and pretty much enjoy anything Rea puts out. He has that guitar and voice that is so distinctive, that just makes me stop and notice. Chris Rea can rock and he can be mellow, and the concert definitely leans towards the latter. This is a no frills concert. Small stage and auditorium, front and center. Your focus is on the man. He has a very good band and they exude a great commoradiere that you would notice among old friends. Watch it for music and the man. The audio is crisp and the camerawork excellent.

G3 Live In Denver :star::star::star::star::halfstar:

Excellent set list for Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen. A little disappointed in Steve Vai's set as its only 3 songs. Pffttt. But the Jam session with all "3" for the finale more than makes up for this.

Seeing the lineage for this tour is a hoot. For those that don't know Joe taught Steve how to play guitar. And Steve replaced Yngwie in Alcatrazz. And Yngwie begged Joe onto the tour....ok, maybe not.

As for the show, its just weird seeing anyone playing bass in Joe's band that isn't Stu Hamm. Stu's da man.

Personal Fave performance: "I'm The Hell Outta Here". You can tell they were having a blast playing this. And Tony MacAlpine got to shine as well.

Im really glad that they filmed this tour for a DVD release, as its one that I wasnt able to see live. The one's I did see live are: John Petrucci, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani G3 tour once. And Eric Johnson, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani G3 tour twice.

Audio and Video is top notch, and I'm really feeling the subwoofer shaking the foundation. My only gripe for the audio would be during the Jam at the end, Yngwie's guitar mix is so far buried that you can barely hear it. Also, another issue I have is in the Jam itself. Yngwie does not "Jam" well with people. He doesn't listen to the other players and just resorts to his stock playing. Watching Steve trying to nudge him along to play with them rather than against them is uncomfortable. Yngwie Needs to dial down the preening and posing, and spend a little more time playing along well with others. Even with this issue, the Jam still is worth its weight in gold watching Joe and Steve going at it.

Classic Albums: Def Leppard "Hysteria" :star::star::star::star::nostar:

Nothing great about audio or video for this. Just a solid deconstruction and history of one of my personal fave albums: Hysteria.

They show a ton of other Classic Albums episodes on VH1 Classics if you don't already watch.