• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Please be sure to check out this post!

What Are You Watching (Music On DVD's/Blu-ray's)

The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert: Special 10th Anniversay Edition :star::star::star::star::nostar:

Where to begin with this one? First off, I love this DVD for what it is. DTS Audio is sick. Video is pretty good. The set list is as close to perfection as you can get. Not a clunker anywhere to be found.

The crowd participation at Wembley is the best ever for any concert. They were totally into it.

So if this is perfect and everything, why only 4 stars? I'm still somewhat piss off about the fact that we are only getting half of the concert. When I first heard about the impending DVD release, I just assumed it was going to be the complete concert: Metallica, Extreme, Def Leppard, and Guns N' Roses, along with performances by Robert Plant and U2.

When this originally aired live on MTV, I thought this was the best thing I had seen since Live Aid. Made sure to tape the entire day. So I still have multiple VHS copies of the concert.

I'm hoping that down the road (perhaps 20th anniversary) we will get a proper DVD release. For the time being I will continue to watch this DVD version.

Personal favorite performances:

Joe Elliott and Slash - "Tie Your Mother Down"
Gary Cherone and Tony Iommi - "Hammer to Fall"
James Hetfield and Tony Iommi - "Stone Cold Crazy "
Paul Young - "Radio Ga Ga" (The crowd gets it right when the Chorus kicks in. Chills.)
Seal - "Who Wants to Live Forever"
Lisa Stansfield - "I Want to Break Free"
David Bowie and Annie Lennox - "Under Pressure" (Epic!!! Best performance of the night.)
David Bowie and Mick Ronson - "Heroes"
George Michael - "Somebody to Love"
Elton John and Axl Rose - "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Axl. Bombs. Hell yeah!!)
Elton John and Tony Iommi - "The Show Must Go On"
Axl Rose - "We Will Rock You"

Behind The Music: Motley Crue :star::star::star::star::nostar:

Entertaining look back at the wild and crazy times of the bad boys of Rock. I wish their long awaited Bio movie based on their autobiography The Dirt would come out. Not likely. Maybe. Who knows. My fave rumor has Val Kilmer playing David Lee Roth. Ok. Back on track. For those that have never seen this episode. Watch it. Its good.

Live Aid :star::star::star::star::halfstar:

The Grand Daddy of them all. Love it or hate it.

The Bad: I hate the fact that there are some major omissions, namely Led Zeppelin. I don't know what the deal is with Robert Plant continually trying to erase history by refusing to let his stuff onto sets. It's a historic performance and should be released, warts and all. Thank god for YouTube, or we would never get to see these again. Other omissions are the in between set banter of the MTV VJ's, etc...I know its fluff, but I want it all.

The Good: With all the cuts, we still get 10 hours of performance. Sure, you have to sit thru alot of filler at the start, but once you get pass that its all gravy baby. The video is better than I thought it would be. And the DTS track is solid. There are some issues regarding audio in some parts thru out the concert. This is do to what existing footage and audio was available when putting the set together. You can tell when this happens when the audio from one cut does not match up with the audio of the next cut.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have watched this set since the day it was released. But nothing will ever top how I felt that fateful day in 85 watching it live.

I will update personal favorite performances later.

UPDATE:

Adam Ant - Viva Le Rock
Phil Collins - Against All Odds
Bryan Ferry - Jealous Guy
Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away
Bryan Adams - Summer Of 69
U2 - Bad
(The lasting image of Bono jumping over the fence and pulling out the chick to dance with still holds up)
Dire Straits with Sting - Money For Nothing ( I want my M....T...Veeeeeee)
George Thorogood and Miles Davis - Madison Blues
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Radio Gaga, Hammer To Fall, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions
(They were by far the best)
Simple Minds - Dont You Forget About Me
Elton John and George Michael - Dont Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Paul McCartney - Let It Be
Band Aid Finale - Do They know Its Christmas?
Tom Petty - American Girl, Refugee
Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
Thompson Twins with Madonna, Nile Rodgers and Steve Stevens - Revolution
Patti Labelle - Imagine, Forever Young
Mick Jagger and Tina Turner - State Of Shock, It's Only Rock And Roll
(The original Wardrobe Malfunction. Thanks Mick for ripping Tina's skirt off :beerchug:)

Extras:

INXS - What You Need, Don't Change
Run DMC - King Of Rock
(Ooooooold school. Never noticed Rick Rubin on stage watching DMC perform before)

Cringe-Inducing-Performance:

USA For Africa Finale - We Are The World (Cluster fuck to the nth degree. Ugh. George Segal, Jeff Bridges, Timothy Hutton, Chevy Chase. Need I say more? How I long for the days for Dan Aykroyd to show em how it's done)

Mac

Pink Floyd - Pulse :star::star::star::star::star:
I'd give 10 stars if I could. To me this is the quintessential arena concert. This DVD was delayed many times, but that's because Gilmour wanted this done right and he has. The audio is phenomenal and they have captured the whole concert (including the whole presentation of The Dark Side Of The Moon) in all it's stages visual glory. One of my fav's is The Great Gig In The Sky with 3, different vocal solos. This set the hair on my neck standing up. Even though this is in an arena, the close-up work with Gilmour and the other musicians is definitely a pleasure.

Enjoying the reviews baby. Turned me onto some stuff I'm just gonna have to check out me-self.
Likewise. There's still a ton of stuff for me to get through that I haven't watched in a while just sitting on my DVD racks. Some good reviews on your part that I wouldn't have normally have taken noticed of, but will now. Props.

Live 8 (Live Aid II) :star::star::star::star::nostar:

Just popped this in. Review coming later.

UPDATE:

Well, this falls slightly below compared to Live Aid. And the reason being is that when it was announced a few months prior, I had started building this up big time. It couldn't arrive fast enough. So when it finally did arrive, it just couldn't live up to the hype. In actuality, I had been waiting for this for 20 years. There just was no way it was going to measure up...talent wise or performance wise. I just cant' believe that its already been 4 years since this aired live.

That was my impression watching it live. As for the DVD I got a much different take on it. Some good and some bad.

The Bad:

Too many songs from the original broadcast were cut from the DVD. The biggest draw for me was the Pink Floyd reunion. I was disappointed in the songs they chose to play (except Comfortably Numb). Watching it again...still somewhat disappointed, because there are so many songs I would have liked to see them play that night. Just my preferences is all. Having said that, it was nice to see them back together for this show.

The Good:

They opened the show the right way. How do you top Paul McCartney and U2, and then follow them with Coldplay? So opening strong was much better than what they did with Live Aid. Alot of performances I didn't like during the live broadcast were much much better the 2nd go-around. Video and the DTS Audio track top notch. Also, a ton of shit to sit thru and absorb.

Another thing that really stuck out like a sore thumb were the constant F-Bombs thru out the entire show. Anyone that knows me, knows I curse like a sailor and this really doesn't bother me. Just pointing out that I'm surprised that there were so many included. Can't remember hearing it during the live broadcast though.

Personal Favorite Performances:

Paul McCartney and U2 - St. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Hell of a way to open a show)
U2 - Beautiful Day/Vertigo/One
Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft - Bittersweet Symphony
Dido and Youssou N'Dour - 7 Seconds
Green Day - American Idiot
Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer
(Nice to hear this song they way it's suppose to be played instead of the acoustic version)
Annie Lennox - Why
Madonna - Like A Prayer/Ray Of Light/Music (Her set fucking ROCKED! Yes, that's me droppin an F-Bomb)
Snow Patrol - Run
The Killers - All These Things I've Done
Alicia Keys - For All We Know
Velvet Revolver - Fall To Pieces
Sarah McLachlan and Josh Groban - Angel
(Chills hearing her sing)
Robbie Williams - We Will Rock You/Let Me Entertain You/Feel/Angels (Hands down, the BEST set of the entire concert. Goosebumps)
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Paul McCartney - The Long And Winding Road/Hey Jude

Extras:

The Who - Who Are You? (Film) (Looooooooove this. So damn funny)
Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me? (Film) (Very enlightening video)
Backstage At Hyde Park (Great mini-doc of pretty much everything before and during the concert)

The Edinburgh Concert :star::star::star::halfstar::nostar:

This was more or less a filler concert that took place after Live 8.

Mac

Elton John - Dream Ticket :star::star::star::star::nostar:

In my young days EJ was a gawd to me. When Blue Moves arrived, he kinda dropped off the radar screen for me. Not to say Elton John hasn't put out crap (**cough** Philadelphia Freedom **cough**). Elton John has put on some of the most amazing shows. I grew up with his outlandish costumes and shows which were great fun. Today he is just a powerhouse performer with a solid show.

This box set contains 4 DVD's. The 1st, an Arena size show at Madison Square Garden. Crank up the volume, this show rocks. The 2nd, at the opera house with orchestra just adds a whole new dimension to his songs. The 3rd at the Ephesus (turkey) outside amphitheater is just the man and his piano. In my mind when Elton performs alone, you quickly realize true artistic talent, see and hear how great a composer he is. The 4th is history of Elton. It's novel, but not that great. I gave it 4 stars because I'm being hard on this set. Everything is very well done with audio and visuals, except for the old stuff, but I understand the limitations.

Mac

David Gilmour in Concert - Live at Robert Wayatt's Meltdown :star::star::star::star::halfstar:

You can probably guess I'm a Floyd fan and works by Gilmour and Waters are always welcome. This concert has a very layed back feel. David Gilmour knows his way around a guitar and he makes it look effortless. The camera work is outstanding. Pull back shots, slow movement, tight shots, it all works. The stage is stark and not a laser to be found. The audio is clean and no complaints. Be sure to check out the minor extras too.

I gave a half star because I was not familiar with the Syd Barrett stuff and it didn't do much for me.

Mac

David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live from the Royal Albert Hall :star::star::star::star::star:

Ok, David again, and the member of Pink Floyd we know is in his element with an outstanding show. A full length Echos is just icing on the cake. David Bowie and Crosby & Nash make appearances. More icing. Gilmour knows how to stage a show and just importantly capture that event on a great looking and great sounding DVD.

Just curious. But did Elton John's Central Park Concert ever get released on DVD? I'm speaking of the concert that aired on HBO from the early 80's (I think it was early 80's).

Chiprocks1

KISS: The Second Coming :star::star::star::star::halfstar:

Great documentary about the reunion, 17 years in the making. Although they focus on the reunion and how it came to be, I wish they had did more with the history of KISS instead of just glossing over everything that came before. That problem would be fullfilled with the Kissology sets.

Tons of behind the scenes stuff, rehearsals, etc...

Seeing them put the makeup and costumes back on for the first time and heading to the Grammy's unannounced is great. Seeing Tupac's reaction when meeting them at the Grammy's is priceless.

It's interesting to see that this doc was written, produced, and directed by Tommy Thayer, who went on to replace Ace Frehely by literally stepping into his costume and makeup (which is when I literally bailed on KISS). Its not mentioned in the doc. Just a keen eye on the linear notes. Seems he had been plotting way back then. Sneaky.

Chiprocks1

Elvis By The Presleys :star::star::star::star::star:

The best doc (as told by family and friends) on Elvis that I personally have seen. And I've seen my share of EP docs. Alot of good stuff in this. Plenty of never before seen home movies and behind the scenes, and studio stuff.

And its a good 4 hours run time. Audio and Video are ok. Nothing special in this department.

Chiprocks1

Elvis '68 Comeback Special :star::star::star::star::star:

If I could I'd give this one 10 stars. This 3 Disc set kicks ass. The original Storytellers/Unplugged/In-The-Round concert.

Elvis has never sounded better. He went balls out since he was trying to win back his fans after those horrible movies, and the Beatles who the public were still infatuated with.

The best part of the set is his In-The-Round performances where he truly shines. The in between numbers where he performs with dancers do look hokey and very dated. But its still a hoot to watch. He owns the crowd...and of course the dancers.

I'm very surprised at how good the Video quality is and the Audio is pretty damn impressive as well. Love this set.

Chiprocks1

Almost Famous (Untitled) :star::star::star::star::star:

Its music related DVD, so Im posting it in here.

Early Hickey + Stillwater. Dwight Schrute + Rolling Stone Magazine. :beerchug:

Love, love, love this movie. I will never get tired of this film. I was just lucky enough to be able to watch them film some of the scenes in SD. Its a trip whenever I watch the movie, how they made the San Diego Sports Arena look as it did in the 70's/80's. Brings back alot of of memories. I'd say about 90% of all the concerts I've seen were at SDSA. Shame that its no longer the destination of bands anymore when they come to town. Every once in awhile they will host a big name act.

Video is great, but the DTS audio track is fuckin sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. Cameron Crowe went out of his way to make this movie as authentic as possible, right on down to capturing the sound of Stillwater performing "Fever Dog" at the beginning of the film.

If you listen to this song, this is EXACTLY how it sounds at SDSA. Goosebumps. Be sure to crank the movie up loud when Stillwater plays. Hell, play the whole damn movie LOUD!

Perfect movie about Rock N' Roll.:rimshot: