• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What Are You Watching (Music On DVD's/Blu-ray's)

AC/DC (Family Jewels) 2005 :star::star::star::star::star:

Family Jewels is a 2 Disc DVD set containing pretty much every single music video and TV appearance of importance in their career. The 3rd Disc containing a few TV appearance as well as the newer music videos picks up where the original set leaves off. The 3rd Disc can be found within the Backtracks box set, which I don't have. Disc 1 is the Bon Scott years and Disc 2 is the Brian Johnson years.

Overall, this is a fantastic set. This is the first time I have watched it since the day I picked it up 5 years ago. And I have a much better appreciation for this DVD set now, coming on the heels of my AC/DC Marathon. Sounds and looks great. Highly recommend this one. :bow:

Included with the DVD set is a 23 page booklet with a biography about the band, TV appearances and music videos.

No Doubt (The Videos 1992 - 2003) 2004 - DVD :star::star::star::star::star:

The Videos 1992 - 2003 collects every single ND video the band has ever filmed into one nice little package. This was originally included in the Boom Box (Limited Edition) set and then later got it's own separate DVD release. There's nothing better than watching all the videos on a big screen TV. The video is nothing spectacular as the majority of them are fairly old. And the audio sadly is not 5.1 Dolby or any other surround mix. Even with this minor issue, I still think this is a great DVD IMO.

One if the coolest things is that if you choose Play All to watch the music videos, in between each video will play Behind The Scenes Vignettes, which can also be played as a standalone segment in the bonus section of the DVD. But the best part of the DVD for me is the Video Conversation With No Doubt where the band talk about each and every video they have done. Really Cool stuff.

Also included in the Bonus section are 2 different videos for Bathwater (Invincible Overload Remix) and Don't Speak (Alternate Edit). And then there's a Rock Steady Live preview.

The Videos 1992 - 2003 Music Videos

No Doubt - Bathwater (Invincible Overload Remix)

No Doubt (Rock Steady Live) 2003 - DVD :star::star::star::star::star:

I haven't watched Rock Steady Live since the last time I reviewed it. Since then, a lot has been said about how "heavily edited" the show was regarding audio sweetening for the DVD release. I expect stuff like this now, be it on DVD or albums. It is what it is when it comes to presenting the best sound quality they can. Now this isn't to be confused with a band recording in a studio and then adding crowd noise after the fact and then passing that off as Live. This isn't the case here. So, I can stand behind a perfect rating for this. As before, the video and sound is amazing as it comes in Dolby Stereo 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Mix, which is the preferred way to watch and listen to the show.

It's 90 minutes of fun with pretty much all the hits. And the editing is top notch and should be the blue print for a lot of other Concert DVD's that are in need of direction when putting together their own DVD's.

Bonus songs include: Total Hate, Excuse Me Mr, Different People and Trapped In A Box. Personally I think these are fantastic performances and really should be included as part of the main concert. I wish there was some sort of branching to include these songs with the show. Oh well.... Also included in the bonus is a Band interview, mini doc's on each band member, Behind the scenes back stage footage and the Anaheim Key to the City segment.

No Doubt - Hella Good & Sunday Morning

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnb-zCaDvGE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnb-zCaDvGE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is how you open a show, by having your drummer front and center to kick things off......​

Michael Jackson's This Is It (2009 - DVD/Blu-Ray) :star::star::star::star::star:

Michael Jackson's This Is It (Trailer)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zUniG6F_RzY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zUniG6F_RzY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Michael Jackson's This Is It is a documentary chronicling the rehearsals, stage production and ultimately his return to the stage for the first time in 12 years since the conclusion of the HIStory Tour back in 1997. MJ has always video taped his rehearsals as a way to make corrections with everything associated with his shows from lighting, music cues and choreography. But with his passing, we are left with something more: a rare glimpse into the man himself that we never got with the few interviews he gave. We get a peek into what makes him tick and how he goes about putting together a monster show. I found This Is It to be fascinating from start to finish. And watching this, it just reminded me of regret.

I have been to countless concerts over the years. Way to many to count. But if there was one regret I have as a concert-going fan, it's that I never got the opportunity to see Michael Jackson perform live. This doc is the closet that I will ever get to experiencing what it would have been like to be there. Sure, I have seen full concerts and clips of him performing on MTV and DVD's. But where those had an imaginary wall up between himself and the audience, This Is It does not. It's a very intimate way to see MJ work his magic because of the fact that he is only performing for a select few people around him and us, the viewer at home. I highly recommend this to anyone that is a fan of MJ or behind the scenes stuff on the makings of a concert show.

As for the film itself, I love how it was presented from band, dancers and production member interviews, dance routines, ad libbed music cues as well as full performances for the majority of every song in the film. For me the standouts performances were Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean and Earth Song. And they ended it brilliantly with his definitive song; Man In The Mirror. Knowing what was coming soon afterwards with his passing, having this song close out is final performance on stage was rather uplifting and a fitting tribute.

Also, I know this is a Michael Jackson film, but I was hoping for more Orianthi throughout the movie. But at least she got to shine, and I mean really shine with her spotlight during Beat It and subsequent guitar duel. Nice :beerchug:

My review is based on the DVD and not the Blu-ray version. But since I couldn't find any high quality images of the DVD cover, I went with the above images as a temporary place holder.

Classic Albums (U2 - The Joshua Tree - DVD) 1999 :star::star::star::star::star:

Classic Album: U2 The Joshua Tree Snippet

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SP6LgtZuBMk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SP6LgtZuBMk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

U2 - Sweetest Thing

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5WybiA263bw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5WybiA263bw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Classic Albums: U2 - The Joshua Tree the DVD always follows the album itself after I'm done listening to it. There is nothing cooler than sitting back and having the actual people involved with the making of a masterpiece tell me stories about how certain songs came about and what went on during it's construction from simple melodies to full blown rock songs. This one has it all. Some really insightful stories to keep you engage and on the edge of your seat the entire time.

The most fascinating story of course is the one based on Where The Streets Have No Name and how the Producer Brian Eno had gotten so sick and tired of trying to fix the song (they had been working on it for weeks and weeks), he was on the verge of staging an "accident" to erase the master-tapes so that they could just start all over again, only to be physically restrained by another.

Everyone in the band, Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry participate along with Producers Daniel Lanois & Brian Eno, along with Engineer Flood to help tell the their story. Also along for the ride is Album Sleeve Designer Steve Averill and Photographer Anton Corbijn to discuss the idea behind the cover and why they chose The Joshua Tree as it's central piece. Highly recommend this to anyone that's a fan of this series or the band.

As with any and all of the Classic Albums, watching them go behind the scenes if you will and play around with the mixing board to hear what was taken out always blows my mind. They do this quite a lot here.

Also included here is the video for Sweetest Thing, which was a B-Side to Where the Streets Have No Name. The song was later re-recorded and re-released, as a single for the U2 compilation album, The Best of 1980-1990, in 1998. Thus the video above.