• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What was your first HT setup?

chlngr1970

"Project Man"
Administrator
While on the way to the SF Symphony presentation of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Tomdkat and I got into a discussion with his "little" brother about our very first home theater setup. He said this could be a fun thread, so here we go...

JVC 27" TV ( Pawn Shop )
JVC Pro Logic Receiver
Boston Acoustic A120 main speakers
Boston Acoustics CR6 surrounds
Boston Acoustics CC2 center
I think I haed a Toshiba Stero VCR
Pioneer CLD-D505 Laser Disc player eventually.

My how HT specifically, and technology in general has changed. Look at what we have now...

j

SilentBob

EH???
Administrator
Mine was a PS2, 25” RCA stereo tv and a 5.1 RCA HTiB with simple Dolby Digital, no DTS. The whole HTiB was a spare of the moment purchase, as I was out looking for a bday present for my brother. Which would mean that was almost 18 years ago yesterday.

Since then I have replaced everything several several several times. Currently on my . . .
RECEIVER: 5th
TV: 4TH
SUB: 2ND&3RD
SPEAKERS: 2nd set pretty much, with the occasional swapping fronts for new fronts and moving them to rears
PROJECTOR: 3RD

I think I have a problem, but please don’t try and fix me:popcorn:

EM3

ummm hmmmm lets see

Tv I want to say was a DLP but i cant remember the namebrand maybe Samsung. Everything else was HTiB Onkyo, Gradually upgraded to Klipsch speakers which I still have and use as well as an SVS sub still have and I have had a couple of integrated amps mostly Onkyo and now a Yamaha. To be honest the Onkyo pairs better with the Klipsch speakers. I think the Yammy tones them down too much for movies but for music it works. My first dvd player was my ps2 but I held off buying a dedicated player because of the DIVX and DVD war. After that war ended I went out and bought a dedicated dvd player. All I can remember was that it wasn't cheap, big, heavy and slow. You know I just realized I have the same speakers for about 15 years or longer. I guess that makes looking at speakers for a 2 channel rig a little more easy to swallow if they cost more.

firestorm

I'm technically still using my first, in a few ways. I didn't get a surround receiver until I think 2004, when I bought the Yamaha RX-V1300. I already had a pair of Boston Acoustics HD8 bookshelf speakers, and I used old Fisher Studio Standard tower speakers (15" woofers) in the back. It wasn't long after that, I bought my Paradigm CC270 center. The next year, I bought Paradigm Monitor 7 towers, and moved the BA HD8s to the back. And that's basically been my audio system since then. I do have the Paradigm Monitor 9 towers I repaired, with those currently up front. I have a pair of Monitor 1 bookshelves that would be better rears, but I don't want the HD8s for music upstairs; they're just too hollow in the middle, compared to the Monitor 1 speakers.

For video, we had a Song Wega 27" for a while. I don't remember when I bought the Panasonic TH-50PX80U 50" plasma, but it's been a while, and it's still my HT screen.

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
Hmmm.

25" Proscan TV
Sony LaserDisc player
Sony tower speakers (fronts)
Sony center (it was tiny)
Scott bookcase speakers in the rear
Sony prologic receiver (I just gave this to a friend in November, it still works)
I had two VHS players, but I can't tell you what they were.
Scott turntable. (I still have this)
Can't remember what my first CD player was, but I had one.
Realistic dual tape deck.

--the TV is still in my workshop, and the Laserdisc player is in storage along with other gear I've owned)