• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows 10: Are there any users in the house?

tomdkat

Greetings! So, I do a fair amount of Windows 10 support for various people and I've been getting frustrated to the point of pulling what little hair I have on my head out. I mean it's just really stupid stuff that just pisses me off. For example, this past Saturday, someone tried to import photos using the Windows 10 "Photos" application. We put the SD card into the reader, "Photos" started, and we started the import process. "Photos" found just over 1700 photos to import before it hung. We eventually got over 3500 photos imported using Picasa 3.

Have you had many problems with Windows 10 or has your experience been more smooth?

Peace...

Taxi

Administrator
Administrator
I've been using Windows 10 pretty much since it came out. I have had very few issues, especially when compared to Windows 8.

The thing that makes me so mad about Windows updates is that they think that changing all the UI elements in the OS is a good thing. So, where I could find things easily in Windows XP, moving to 7 meant I had to re-find all the things I need to do to setup my computer the way I want it. Then I had to learn it all over again for Win8 (Along with the ridiculous tile based UI that I had to figure out how to turn off.) With Windows 10, everything is in different places again. It's so frustrating.

Fortunately, I don't think we'll ever see Windows 11, they'll just keep updating Win10.

Fun fact: You can use old Windows 7 and 8 CD keys to legally activate Windows 10. (You can download WIn10 install media from Microsoft for free.)

Last edited:

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
I think I have around a dozen Windows 10 machines in the house. I've been really surprised at the lack of any real problems I've had, especially compared to past windows versions. Everything's been running very smoothly for me.

Fun fact: You can use old Windows 7 and 8 CD keys to legally activate Windows 10. (You can download WIn10 install media from Microsoft for free.)
I thought that ended? Is it still true? Kick ass if so. :)

tomdkat

Yes, I was aware of that. I downloaded two Windows 10 ISOs and used on to install Windows 10 in VirtualBox. I never thought about entering a Windows 7 CD key to activate Windows 10. I'll purchase one and will use that to activate Windows 10. A few years ago, I found a person selling Windows 7 product keys for "cheap cheap". He used some EU law as a justification for selling the key. So, I got a key for $5 or so and it's worked perfectly.

Peace...

tomdkat

I think I have around a dozen Windows 10 machines in the house. I've been really surprised at the lack of any real problems I've had, especially compared to past windows versions. Everything's been running very smoothly for me.
Lucky bastards. You're both lucky bastards. lol

Peace...

tomdkat

Ok guys: have you had problems playing commercial DVDs or Blu-Ray discs on Windows 10? I ran into a YouTube member who indicated they can't play any DVDs on Windows 10. I tried in my Windows 10 VirtualBox environment and failed. Even VLC refused to play the DVD. When I play the DVD in Linux (on the same machine running Windows 10), the DVD plays fine.

Peace...

Wirehed

NSFW Administrator
Administrator
I only have one computer with an optical drive and I can't say I've ever tried to play a movie on it. lol